Can't use Table per Subclass Strategy

Hi!
I use Table per Subclass Strategy. But one-to-one identifying relationship is not created. Why?

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for your post. Would you mind to send me a sample project to take a look? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I send my project to lilian@visual-paradigm.com
Please, say what you think about this.

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for replying and the project file. I believe you create the entities on ORM Diagram by clicking Class-Entity Mapping > Entity on the class model.
ORM Diagram is for showing the mapping between class models and object models, and the synchronization function on ORM Diagram (i.e. “Synchronize from Classes to Entities” on popup menu of ORM Diagram) is for synchronizing the attributes of class and columns of entity.

If you need to synchronize the classes and entities in project and show the relationships between them, you simply need to synchronize the class diagram to ERD. I’ve send you a flash movie of how to synchronize the class diagram to ERD using your project file to your private message, please have a check.

Hope this answers our question. Please let me know if there is anything I can help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thank you very much! It’s work!

Hi Vinger4,

It’s my pleasure! :smiley:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I have the follow Class Diagram (please see ClassDiagram.jpg). Can I get the follow EntityDiagram (please see EntityDiagram.jpg)?

ClassDiagram.JPG

EntityDiagram.JPG

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for replying. We are sorry that current it’s not supported to generate the ERD you expect, but why you want to have such ERD?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

1. Such ERD is provided some constraints for users in the process insert new rows in tables. So, user can’t insert in table Class1 before he insert same ID in table Class6.

2. Our database structure id very hard. Such ERD make simplify database structure.

3. Such ERD is good practice and used in such products as IBM Rational Data Architect (for example).

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for replying. I’ve passed this issue to our engineers to study. I’ll let you know if there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Vinger4,

Sorry for my late response. We support generate ERD as you expected by “Table per Subclass” inheritance strategy, and it’s supported in VP Suite 4.1. You can download VP Suite 4.1 from our website ( http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/ ), install the software and run “VP Suite Update” (in VPSuite/bin folder) for updating to latest patch (20090930h or later) for the enhancement.

FYI, more details about updating to latest patch from the following link:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi!
I have 20091009 patch of DBVA 5.1. But I can’t generate ERD as I expected. I use “Table per Subclass” inheritance strategy. What I do incorrectly?

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for your post. Our engineers are checking this issue, and I’ll let you know if there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for your post. Please select Tools > Options > ORM, switch to Synchronization tab and choose “Super Class” as Table per subclass FK Mapping (see attached image), then you will get the result you want. Should you have any inquiry, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

select_super_class.png

Thanks, It’s work!

Hi Vinger4,

You are welcome.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong