CE 2.1 Freezes

Hi,
Please make sure that you have installed the latest version of Jre 1.4. Please get the jre at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html.

Best Regards,
Angus
vpuml.log

Sorry about incomplete initial message, I pressed the wrong button and posted it half done. Let me try again.

I am having a problem with CE freezing on Linux RH 8. I did the following:

• start VPUML CE
  • click the “Create Class Diagram” icon; new diagram with grid appears
  • click the “Class” icon on the left toolbar
  • click in the diagram to create a class; box appears with “Class” inside
  • program is now frozen:
    Cursor moves, but no buttons or sliders in VPUMLCE respond. CE doesn’t refresh when it is covered and uncovered. The close (x) icon on the frame doesn’t work; program has to be killed from the command line.

The problem is reproduceable. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CE several times, and the same behavior occurs every time. It happens with both the 20030520v and 20030520w builds.

Installation details:
CE: vpumlce_20030520.jar (v and w builds)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4
Java: Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-b01)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-b01, mixed mode)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
vpuml.log

Hi Steve,
Could you upload the log file? The log file is placed in the installation directory and called vpuml.log.

Best Regards,
Angus
vpuml.log

Hi Angus,

Here it is (attached).

Thanks,
Steve

angus wrote:

Hi Steve,
Could you upload the log file? The log file is placed in the
installation directory and called vpuml.log.

Best Regards,
Angus

I too have been experiencing the same issue and have the same errors contained in the log file. I have followed the instructions for upgrading to 1.4.2.* and still the same issue. I have the following config:

SuSE 8.1
vpumlce_20030520_no_install.zip (have tried all with the same errors)
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

I am hot to use/purchase the tool, but want to get a working version.

Please help.

I forgot to add, that while looking at the *.sh and the “About… Environment” that I can’t find the vp-help.jar and the jhall.jar anywhere on my system.
vpuml.log

Hi,
Could you try following command in the installation directory?

%installation directioy%#java -cp vpuml.jar;vpumlresources.jar RV jdk

And please go to the help->about the check the jdk verion. It should be same as your jdk version. And see the problem is fixed or not.

Best Regards,
Angus

Angus,

Thanks for getting back. I tried the java command and for some reason, my version didn’t like it. I tried different varations and it still didn’t like it. The tail end of this message contains the output. By the way, my jdk seems to be ok it is accessing the right path “/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4.2/*”, but my class path in my environment is set to /usr/lib/java which is linked to the /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4.2 directory - I don’t know if this matters or not.

I tried to add a class to the class diagram and it still froze on me. I can add various kinds of items (notes, etc), but it seems to hang when a certain event happens. Hard to explain, but when an item becomes active, there is a purple halo around it and other times it has little boxes around it like it may be referencing to something, the latter is when it hangs.

When I reviewed the log file I see two items that strike me - one is a nullpointer and the other is java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no I1 in java.library.path. I don’t know if that is what your previous mail was attempting to fix or not, but it seems as though my classpaths are messed up or I am missing the key libraries. In my previous note I mentioned I can’t find the jhall.jar and vp-help.jar.

I believe the company is in Hong Kong, but would there be any way to contact you and give you temporary telnet access to provide some diagnosis? I am willing to accomodate any hour.

Thanks,

Kelly

**** message ****

zeus@rivendell:/local/vp/vpumlce_20030520_no_install> java -cp vpuml.jar;vpumlresources.jar RV jdk
Usage: java [-options] class [args…]
(to execute a class)
or java [-options] -jar jarfile [args…]
(to execute a jar file)

where options include:
-client to select the “client” VM
-server to select the “server” VM
-hotspot is a synonym for the “client” VM [deprecated]
The default VM is client.

-cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
-classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
              A : separated list of directories, JAR archives,
              and ZIP archives to search for class files.
-D<name>=<value>
              set a system property
-verbose[:class|gc|jni]
              enable verbose output
-version      print product version and exit
-showversion  print product version and continue
-? -help      print this help message
-X            print help on non-standard options
-ea[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
-enableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
              enable assertions
-da[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
-disableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
              disable assertions
-esa | -enablesystemassertions
              enable system assertions
-dsa | -disablesystemassertions
              disable system assertions

bash: vpumlresources.jar: command not found

Hi Angus,

I downloaded and installed the latest Java from sun, and the problem persists.

I also tried your command:
java -cp vpuml.jar:vpumlresources.jar RV jdk

and checked the Help / About / Info tab. The VM Name is
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2-b28

Also, all the directories in the that appear on the Environment tab are pointed at the new installation.

I’m attaching the latest log file.

Thanks,
Steve
vpuml.log

Angus,

Thanks for getting back. I tried that command and the syntax worked, but the application still hangs. I have enclosed the log file in case the scenario has changed. Please advise the next steps.

Kelly

By the way, I forgot to mention I am in Pacific Standard Time or GMT -8
vpuml.log

Sorry, the command is wrong. Please use this one:
java -cp vpuml.jar:vpumlresources.jar RV jdk

Hi Steve,
The problem could be caused by the look and feel. Please change the look and feel to orginal look and feel. For more information about the look and feel configuration, please visit our documentation at Visual Paradigm User's Guides. On the other hand, I will send you a development build. Which may fix the problem. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Angus
vpuml.log

Angus,

I have tried to change the look and feel from “Metal” to “Eclipse…” as those were my only two choices and the application still hangs; an “original” was not available.

What would the development build provide? How would we get a copy? Would this provide different levels of logging to better diagnose?

Thanks,

Kelly

Angus,

Oops, sorry, I forgot to attach the the vpuml.log file to the previous message. Here it is.

Steve

Hi All,
I suggest you change the look and feel to orginal (not dockable). To change the look and feel, please go to pull down menu Option-> Application Option. and change the Window Layout to Orginal Look and Feel. I think this will fix the problem.

Best Regards,
Angus
vpuml.log

Angus,

Tried changing Look-and-Feel. As Kelly found, the only choices I saw were “Metal” and “Eclipse Metal” or something like that. I changed it, exited, and now when I start CE hangs during its start-up load! So now I can’t get to the options menu to change the L&F back, and am really stuck. The vpuml.log file (attached) shows some L&F-related errors, so changing must have triggered this hang. Any way I can reset it when I can’t start CE?

I changed the L&F on the General tab of the Options menu within CE, and that was where I saw the Metal and Eclipse choices. I recall that when I ran CE for the first time after installation, it displayed a box asking me to select a Look & Feel, and I remember the choices there as being “Original” versus something else. Is that what you had in mind? Is there a way to invoke that choice box? I’m afraid I can’t recall which I chose, but probably the default.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the same problem with (version 2.1 20030520w) on RedHat 7.3
Just after an object is created in a diagram everything freezes.

the first error
"java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no I1 in java.library.path"
is the same as in vpuml.log from Steve Lowe.

#java -version
java version "1.4.2"
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

Attached env.txt file contains output from env command.

Any suggestions?

Yuri

I am having a problem with CE freezing. I did the following:
start it up, click “Create New Class Diagram”, click the "

I installed vpumlce_20030520.jar (build 20030520w) on a Linux system

angus wrote:

Hi All,
I suggest you change the look and feel to orginal (not
dockable). To change the look and feel, please go to pull down
menu Option-> Application Option. and change the Window Layout
to Orginal Look and Feel. I think this will fix the problem.

It does not ;-(

Yuri