Change Activity Parent

Can you change the parent of an Activity? I have a requirement to insert another sub-process level or move to a new Sub-Process but as soon as you try and move the Activity to the new Sub-Process VP removes it from the current parent and places it at the same level i.e. in the package.

Start point

Package A
…Sub-Process A
…Sub-Process B
…Activity

need to create new sub-process X that contains B

After moving B to X

Package A
…Sub-Process A
…Sub-Process B
…Activity
…Sub-Process X

Thanks

Mitchell.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your post. Actually you just need to right-click on Sub-Process B on the diagram and select Form Sub-Process Diagram in the popup menu, then you will get a parent sub-process diagram of Sub-Process B.

You should not move a sub-process to another sub-process in the model tree since a sub-process cannot contain sub-process directly, it can only reference to another sub-process. That’s why when you drag Sub-Process B to Sub-Process X, Sub-Process B will be moved to same level as Sub-Process X / Sub-Process A.

If there is any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Lilian.

Unless I’m doing something wrong it doesn’t appear to work, I’ve attached 2 jpegs to illustrate. I’m trying to get the Set-up Project sub-process to be contained within the Manage Project sub-process, which it would have been had I created the Set-up sub-process in the Manage Process diagram. I have a number of these corrections to make.

If I right click on the Set-up subprocess on the diagram and select Form Sub-Process Diagram I get the result as in the “After” jpeg i.e. it creates a new sub-process, called “Process” and leaves the Set-up process in situ.

Regards.

Mitchell.

Forum2.jpg
Forum1.jpg

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for replying. I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to follow-up. Once there is any feedback, I’ll notify you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Mitchell,

I would like to tell you that the behavior you experienced with “Form Sub-Process Diagram” is not a correct one, and we fixed this problem already. You can download the patch from the following link:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200901/Patch/sp1_20081230k/Business_Process_Visual_ARCHITECT_Windows_2_4_sp1_20081230k.exe

When you want to move the Set-up Project to be contained by Manage Project, please cut the Set-up Process, switch to the sub-process diagram “Manage Project diagram” and Paste Model on the diagram.

If there is any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Lilian.

Tried the copy model approach but this did not work see jpeg. Indeed it created a duplicate but it still was’nt re-located to be contained in the target sub-process adn moreover does not copy any of it’s own structure e.g. tasks.

Creating a duplicate does not really solve the problem as the sub-process may have association and be used on other diagrams, which would have to be re-worked.

There is the feature to detach from parent but doesn’t have the capability to attach to new parent?

We are using 6.4 (Build 20081120).

Mitchell.
Forum3.jpg

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for replying. The build you are using does not contains the bug fix of the problem, please download latest patch from the following link and try again:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200901/Patch/sp1_20081230k/VP_Suite_Windows_3_4_sp1_20081230k.exe

Best regards,
Lilian Wong