Changing dialog box defaults

I would like to know how to change the default values which are set (i.e. public instead of private) for class and attribute specification dialogs.

Thanks for your help.

Kern

Hi Kern,

Thank you for your post.

1. You can right-click on the class/attribute, select Visibility > public in the popup menu (you can refer to the image attached), then it will change to be public in stead of private.
  2. You can also change in the class/attribute specification (you can refer to the image attached).

For the attributes, you can also change from private to public simply by typing “+” before the name of the attribute. Below are the the symbols for the visibility of attributes:

• private
  • public

protected

" " package local

If you have any inquiries, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

type_visibility_symbol.png

change_visibility_in_spec.png

change_visibility_of_class.png

I’m sorry I didn’t make myself clear.

What I want to do is change what default values are used. When I create a new attribute and open the attribute specification dialog, the default value for visibility is private. This is the wrong visibility default for me, this results in my having to change the visibility for every attribute I create. Visibility is not the only default value I would like to change, I just used that as an example.

I know how to change the default values, what I need to know is how to change the values used as defaults.

Thanks

Hi Kern,

Sorry for my late reply. I’ve forwarded the issue of changing the default value for attributes to our engineers to consider. We decided to support this in VP-UML 6.3 (VP Suite 3.3) and the development is started already.

If there are any further inquiries, please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

This is much appreciated. I am working on a large model and the extra steps it takes to change every new attribute has added considerably to the time and effort required for the model’s construction. To only have to modify those attributes which are exceptions will make the tool much more productive.

kern

Hi Kern,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience caused the current version. Once the feature is available in the release, I’ll come back to you immediately.

If there is any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Kern,

Sorry for my late response. I would like to let you know that the feature of setting default visibility for attribute is done. Please download the early access build for this feature from the following link. After downloaded the package, please unzip it and execute the VP Suite.exe inside the bin folder to perform post installation configuration.
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200804/EarlyAccess/VP_Suite_Windows_NoInstall_3_2_asso_end_default_20080422.zip

Please be reminded that this is only an early access build and it may cause unexpected problem. Please backup your project file before trying at the early access build.

BTW, in this new feature, you are not only able to set the default visibility for attribute, but also for class and operation. Please select Tools > Options…, then click Diagramming > Class and you will see the Default Visibility options for class, attribute and operation (you may refer to the attached image).

If there are any inquiries, please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

default_visibility.png

I would like to thank you and your team for the quick response to this issue, it certainly appears to be a step in the right direction.

If I read the screen shot correctly, the UI now permits me to set the default visibility for classes, attributes and operations? Is this the only property of these objects I can set the default for? There are many other properties I would like to be able to set as well as set defaults for the properties of associations. I would like to set defaults for multiplicity, navigability and data type.

Currently, the focus of my modeling is a relational database, so there are several defaults for object properties I would like to change that would be appropriate to that target. When I start modeling transient classes, there may be a different set of relevant object properties.

Kern

Hi Kern,

You are welcome, I’m glad that we could help.

You are right that currently you can only set the default visibility of classes, attributes and operations, I’m sorry about this fact. However, we will consider to support other properties of these objects we as well as the associations. If there are any news about this supporting issue, I’ll come back to you at once.

Thanks for your kind suggestions, and you are welcome for any other suggestions!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong