Comparing and contrasting

how would i go about comparing and contrasting the characteristics of use case diagrams and class diagrams with regad to static and behavioural models

I haven’t a clue, can only help?

for part 3, how much detail would be expected because it could go on for a long time

thanks, how would i compare it to static and behavioural models?

You reverse the description.

so for use case diagrams i would do something like this:

USE CASE: Multiplicity (Cardinality) Place multiplicity notations near the ends of an association. These symbols indicate the number of instances of one class linked to one instance of the other class. For example, one company will have one or more employees, but each employee works for one company only.

CLASS: Extend: In an extend relationship between two use cases, the child use case adds to the existing functionality and characteristics of the parent use case. An extend relationship is depicted with a directed arrow having a dotted shaft, similar to the include relationship. The tip of the arrowhead points to the parent use case and the child use case is connected at the base of the arrow. The stereotype “<>” identifies the relationship as an extend relationship

explain each thing and explain them as above?

I suggest following points.

1. Compare the notation between two diagrams. And the meaning of the notation.
  2. When to use the diagrams. What suitation you will use it.
  3. Level of detail can be represent in these two diagrams
  4. Which user will use these diagrams.

with regard to static and behavioural models, compare and contrast the characteristics of ‘use case diagrams’ and class diagrams.

thats the question i have, and i have to do about 2 pages on it. so as much detail as possible would be a great help!

What detail you want? May be we can discuss.

don’t suppose you could elaborate on it? i get that bit but i need to go into more detail. thanks for your reply though

Use Case Diagram are used to model the interaction between the system and user (actor). Usually the Use Case Diagram is used in reqiurement capturing and analysis. The Use Case Diagram can tell you who is going to use the feature and benefit from feature.

The Class diagram is used to model the static of the system. Usually the Class diagrams are used in design phase.

any news on how to relate them to behavioural and static models?

Smoke and a pancake

This should be a long comparision, however I would like to get you started with a small hint: Behavioral models are Dynamic in nature and thus are aware of the ordere in which things are happening. In Class diagrams you do not have order information i.e. you cannot predict which classes would be formed first and which would be constructed later on, however in an activity diagram you will have this information.

Regards
Amrit

Well,

Use cases are to model the functional requirement of the system, so as such are representation of dynamic behaviour of the system.

Class diagram or representation of construction of system, wherein the objects created from class specification collaborate to achive the functional as envisaged in the use case model.

This should clear the difference in between the two and consequently the difference in behaviour or characteristics of the two models.

The use case are used to denote the system interactions with the user, and so that notations used in that context are to model the actor to the system and the response of the system.

While notations used in class diagram are to represent the structure of the system, wherein the object of the run time provide system behaviour. So that notations of significance are class diagram, relationships, and otehr behaviour such as constraints, like invariants etc. all to provide realization of use case.

If the above description is not enough do let me know. We can elaborate anything not understood, or things that need details.