Copying diagrams from one project to another

If I have a diagram in one project I’d like to move to another, what are the steps to do this? Do I just move the .vpd files? Or the .vpp files? Or can I cut and paste from one project to the other?

Thanks!

Damon

Dear Damon,

You can just copy the diagram content and then paste to another project.

Regards,

Antony.

where can i copy the diagram content?
I need more details …

Thanks you.

Nestor

Dear Nestor,

Just select the content in the diagram to copy, right-click on the selection and select “Copy within VP-UML” from the popup menu. Then, without closing the application, open or create a project and create a diagram, and then paste the content to it.

Regards,

Antony.

Antony,
I opened 2 VP-UML applications. I loaded a working ProjA in 1 executable. On the other executable I created a new project, ProjB. Under ProjA I copied a Class Diagram. On ProjB, I created a new Class diagram and attempted to paste the copied class diagram there. VP wouldn’t let me do it. If I create a new Class diagram in ProjA, I have no problem copying and pasting it. Just can’t copy it through different projects. I don’t want to have to close my current project (ProjA), open ProjB under the same application and paste the diagram in it. If I need to copy addition diagrams, I’ll have to do the same thing all over again.
I am currently evaluating VP-UML 5.0 and plan to buy 3-4 copies within a week. Please help.
thanks,
Sean

Dear Seant,

Thank you for your message. We are sorry that we only support copying the models with a single instance of the application. For your situation, I suggest you can use the Export Project features. You can export selected diagrams into a separate project file so that it can be imported by other project.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

4 years later: Can diagrams now get copied from one VP instance to another? :?

Hi user,

Sorry for my late response. We are sorry that currently we only support copying all elements on a diagram, opening a new project/another project, then paste the diagram to it. This is supported in same instance of application only.
You can also export the diagram as a separate project.

BTW, we now support defining design pattern, which you can save the pattern (in .pat file format) and use it on other diagram/another project. Maybe you will find this feature useful. You can get more details about design pattern from the following link:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/demos/designpattern/

If there is any further question, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi users,

I’m glad to tell you that our Project Manager plan to support copy diagram between different instance of application in VP Suite 4.1 (expected to be released on September 2009). I’ll come back to this topic if there is any further news on this topic!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

[quote=LilianWong]Hi user,

BTW, we now support defining design pattern, which you can save the pattern (in .pat file format) and use it on other diagram/another project. Maybe you will find this feature useful. You can get more details about design pattern from the following link:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/demos/designpattern/

Lilian Wong[/quote]

Hi,
What about predefined GoF design patterns? User manual says that VP supports GoF, however if I select “Apply Pattern” I’m asked to specify *.pat file. I could not locate any pat files inside VP installation dir.

best regards
Piotr Rezmer

Hi Piotr Rezmer,

Thanks for your post. I’ll check with our engineers and come back to you asap.

And we are sorry that the feature of copying diagram between different instance of application is delayed. At the mean time, please export the diagram to VP project (.vpp) for importing in to another instance of application. We will try our best to support in VP Suite 4.2.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Piotr Rezmer,

I would like to inform you that we add tutorials of design patterns and I believe you will find them helpful for GoF design patterns. Please find the tutorials at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/tutorials.jsp

Feel free to have a post again if you have any inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Another four years on still cannot copy diagrams between instances…!

:wink:

P Thompson

Hi P Thompson,

Thank you for your post. We already support copying shapes to another project. User can also export a diagram into XML or a separate project and import it into another project. For users who use referenced project, they can move a diagram and the containing shapes via refactoring. Therefore, we have no recent plan to support copying diagram.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hello,

Two years later I am trying to merge all my projects into one and I cannot seem to manage it. I am mostly interested in moving the Use Case diagrams to a single project.

After a while I managed to copy them or export/import them into a new project. However, wireframes linked to flow of event’s steps and jump to/exit target links were missing. Is it possible to transfer them as well?

Regarding wireframes, when I tried to select some parts of my project for export, wireframes were not an option. Why is that?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Eleni

:roll:

So after all these years you still cannot easily copy 1 diagram from one open project to another?

13 years later I still cannot copy 1 element from 1 project to another one. What a shame!

Please reference to the article below about how to copy elements across projects. Feel free to contact us for any questions.

Best regards,
Rain Wong

select the content in the diagram for copy, right-click on the selected area and select copy from the popup menu. Then, without closing the application, open or create a project file and and then paste the content on it.

Thanks for the guides