Crash eclipse

eclipse crash when calling any UML fuctionallity in eclipse.

When doing the integration everything is 'OK’
but when I say start eclipse the uml windows closes.

when opening eclipse and trying any UML functionallity eclipse failes.

Eclipse 3.0.0
jdk 1.4.2

btw: I can’t submit a bug, getting error document contains no data while all fields are filled in.

but when I say start eclipse the uml windows closes.

This is normal if you mean you start the Eclipse integration using menu “Tools” → “IDE Integration” → “Eclipse Integration…”. This will cause VP-UML to exit and Eclipse will start, this is because VP-UML is invoked within the Eclipse IDE rather than the reverse. So when you want to start VP-UML Eclipse integration, always start Eclipse first and invoke VP-UML using the appropriate menus/popup menus/buttons in Eclipse. The “Eclipse Integration…” menu item in VP-UML is actually used for installing the integration materials in the first time, or if you want to re-install the integration at a later time.

when opening eclipse and trying any UML functionallity eclipse failes.

How do you perform the VP-UML operations? Try right-clicking the project node in the Package Explorer and select “VP-UML Project” → “New Project” (or “Open Project” if there is an existing one) from the popup menu, does VP-UML starts? I have tried to create a test project and synchronize between Eclipse and VP-UML and it is OK. The configuration is:

Windows XP
JDK 1.4.2
Eclipse Version: 3.0.0 Build id: 200308281813
VP-UML Professional Edition 20030915d

Regards,

Antony.

When right-clicking the project node in the Package Explorer and select “VP-UML Project” -> “New Project” the crash occures.
eclipse 200307181617
VP-UML 20030915

I have tried to use the Eclipse with version 200307181617 and the latest version of VP-UML (20030915) but I cannot reproduce the problem. The test is performed on an empty project that locate either on local drive or network drive, and both can navigate to VP-UML without any problems.

I guess the problem maybe caused by the user language setting, so you may try to use the command line below to start Eclipse to see whether it solves the problem:

java -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US -classpath startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main

Just execute this command line in the Eclipse installation directory where the file “startup.jar” is located.

Regards,

Antony.

I have the same problem. Maybe the difference to antony is the os, since i am working on linux, Suse 8.1.

I tried to integrate vp:

• with eclipse 2.1 and 3.0, both as motif version
  • to use the hint of antony setting the lang and country. Since the commandline doesn’t work, i set the system lang and country and improved settings by checking the configuration details
  • to use it on a new and empty project

The result is always the same: after ~10 seconds of working, eclipse is crashing with exit code=6

Best, Michael

An additional hint from my side regarding this theme. Today i installed vp and eclipse on a fresh linux Suse 8.2.
I started eclipse one time and created one project. After i installed vp, performed the ide integration and choosed the start of eclipse out of vp. Like described above from tom, vp was closing and eclipse was started. But it started with a fresh workspace, not with the workspace i buildt before. After stopping and restarting eclipse again, i had my original workspace back.
I was only wondering, wether the missing workspace during this operation could affect some errors in the installation, too?

Best, Michael

Martyn,

thank you for checking this behaviour on linux. Actually you are right: at that time the only “sane” eclipse with vp is eclipse 2.1 gtk. The 3.0 gtk version is showing the same behaviour than described, even as gtk version.

Best, Michael

remi128 wrote…

I started eclipse one time and created one project. After i installed vp, performed the ide integration and choosed the start of eclipse out of vp. Like described above from tom, vp was closing and eclipse was started. But it started with a fresh workspace, not with the workspace i buildt before. After stopping and restarting eclipse again, i had my original workspace back.
I was only wondering, wether the missing workspace during this operation could affect some errors in the installation, too?

This is normal, and does not affect VPUML or Eclipse. The reason it does this is when you specify the Eclipse path in the IDE Integration of VP-UML, it (VP-UML) cannot determine where your workspace is (in linux eclipse, the workspace is parsed as an argument) and thus opens the eclipse default workspace.

This problem is once off, and the next time you run eclipse, you will get your original workspace, with the VP-UML Integration. Next time, when you performa an IDE Integration and it asks you to “Run eclipse now?” just click no and manually start Eclipse.

Martyn

Michael,

I have just installed a fresh version of Red Hat 9.0. I have also installed Eclipse 2.1.1 (Motif) and VPUML. I can replicate the same problem as you had experienced(error code 6), however, this problem lies within Eclipse and is beyond our scope. This error code 6 was replicated in both Gnome and KDE window managers.

There were no problems, my only suggestion is to use the GTK2 version of Eclipse which had no troubles running on both Gnome and KDE.

Thanks.

Martyn

Michael,

The Eclipse M3 (GTK2) works with no problems with linux. Remember, that if you install a new version of eclipse you must re-initiate the IDE Integration from VP-UML. If you are already doing this, check the permissions on the eclipse directory - most likely you have unzipped Eclipse as root (which then sets the owner of the directory to root), which disallows the IDE Integration to write files to that folder (if run as a normal user).

If you go into the directory where you installed eclipse, and type:

ls -la | grep eclipse

If it is owned by root, issue the following command:

chown -R eclipse/
chgrp -R eclipse/

One this has been done, try running the IDE Integration again.
Hope that helps.

Martyn

Martyn,

unfortunately i did all that :slight_smile:
I installed the latest M3, installation was done by my own account, so all rights and ownings are set to my user and group. Additionally i installed on a complete fresh system first the M3, then vp and then i performed the integration.
After, when it did not work as soon, i installed the 2.1 and did integration here. Everything was done under my user, not root.

Anyway - at that time i am working very fine with the 2.1 and vp. I don’t need really to update at that time.

Thus, if it is not important or useful for you, i will try again when the final eclipse V 3 is out. If it is useful for vp, then just tell me and i will go on.

Best, Michael

Michael,

Are you saying that the 4 tasks of integration do not work with M3? E.g when you click “Start” to start the integration, that fails? OR are you saying that when you try to update your model, it fails there? I have tried VP-UML with the M3 version of eclipse on two different machines, and IDE integration works properly.

Martyn

Martyn,

i just tried again and - what shall i tell - its working fine now under M3, too.

Yesterday it was so, that integration was working without any error but that all following tasks, which i performed from out of eclipse were leading to an eclipse crash like described before.

But there is one thing, what i changed yesterday, it is the java installation. By default the Suse is installing the Blackdown java. Yesterday i switched system wide to the sun java, including the development.
In my mind there are two possibilities ( which i don’t want to check now, since i am quite happy about a running system now ):
Or the Blackdown java is making trouble by itself or the default installation is installing the jdk only, but not the development.

Michael

Michael,

Good to see that you have got the M3 version of Eclipse to work with VP-UML. All of our testing has been done using Sun’s JDK. However, I will have a look Blackdown java on my test machine later today.

Martyn