Creating sequence diagrams fails in VP-UML 5.3

Hello,

I’m using VP-UML 5.3 Professional Edition (with latest updates) with a Java application which was imported using the instant reverse feature. The Java application contains roughly 500 classes, the size of the save file is about 1MB.
When I’m creating sequence diagrams from methods used as messages in existing sequence diagram (right mouse click - Send To - New Sequence Diagram) the program stops working and the cpu workload goes up to 100% and stays there forever (I’ve run it for 10-15 minutes and nothing changed). I’ve checked the log file (vp.log) and the output window and they both doesn’t contain any exceptions.

Is there another way to create sequence diagrams for existing methods in other sequence diagrams?

Thanks,
Kristian Herpel

Dear kherpel,

Would you mind tell me the build number of VP-UML 5.3 which you are using? You can find the build number inside the about dialog.

Best regards,
Rain

Dear Rain,

I’m using Visual Paradigm Version 5.3 (Build sp3_20061117) with an license server under Windows XP. The Java runtime version is 1.5.0_06_b05.

Thanks,
Kristian

Hello Kristian,

Have you tried copy and paste - select and copy the lifelines (with messages) and paste to a new diagram. By the way, how large is your diagram and the part that you selected to send to a new diagram?

Finally, I also suggest you try version 6.0 because this might be a problem that has been fixed before. As I know we have made several fixes regarding to the sequence diagram in the recent versions.

Best regards,
Jick

Dear Jick,

I’ve tested to copy&paste the model elements from one sequence diagram to another using the internal copy mechanism. I’ve got the same result as described in the first post. The cpu workload goes up to 100%, the Visual Paradigm window becomes empty (just the gray background is visible) and Visual Paradigm stops working. I left the program running for about 15 minutes and it still remains at 100% workload. But I can create a new sequence diagram and move the model elements from the first sequence diagram to the new one using drag&drop from the model tree without any problems.

Some of the sequence diagrams that I’ve created and tested are rather small (just 3 lifelines and around 10 messages) but some contain more than 10 lifelines with up to 100 messages. The result using copy&paste is the same on all diagrams.

Thanks for your tip, I’ll check the model with the new version of Visual Paradigm. Maybe the problem disappears.

Kristian

Hello kherpel,

Thank you for your reply. Please let me know if it works in version 6.0 Service Pack 1. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

I’ve tested the model with the new version but the problem with creating new sequence diagrams from messages in existing sequence diagram remains. If I select a message and select the entry “Send To - Send To New Sequence Diagram” from the context menu the cpu workload goes up to 100% and VP stops responding.

The problem is that I can not send you the model file because we have a non-disclosure agreement with the company for which I’ve created that model.

Thanks for your effort,
Kristian

Hello Kristian,

I can understand. Would you mind sending me the vp.log file? There may have some important information about the problem. You can locate it at $vp-suite-install-dir/bin

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

I’ve attached the log file to this post. Please note, that the cause for the exceptions in the log file is not the problem I’ve described in the previous posts. In that case the workload just goes up to 100% and no exception is thrown at all.

Thanks
Kristian
vp.log

hello Kristian,

Thank you for your post. The log you provided was produced by version 5.3. Would you mind sending us the log file produced from VP-UML 6.0? Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick