Database Reverse into ORM

I am running SDE Professional for Eclipse, 3.3(sp3_20061023), eclipse 3.1.1, ojdbc14.jar and jre1.4.2_12.

I am trying to reverse engineer into an ER diagram from an Oracle 9i database. If I try to reverse more than 15 tables or so, the application freezes. If I try fewer tables, they show up in the model tree, but, they don’t show up in the ER diagram. If I reverse a few tables at a time, when I get to much more than 15 - 17 tables in the model, the application freezes again.

I see the ER diagram in the diagram navigator, and the reversed objects show in the diagram tree, but when I drag them to the diagram, nothing is shown in the diagram, and they are copied in the tree.

Added information - I have been able to reverse many more tables into the model, as long as I do a few at a time. But, the problem with showing the ER diagram seems to be larger. I have not been able view any old diagrams, or create new ones in SDE. I can access the projects using VP/UML 5.3(sp3/20061023). I don’t know if this happened as a result of the last update, but it has been within the last two updates.

Hi don,

Would you mind sending me your project file and log file for checking this problem? I suppose you know where to find the project file. For the log, it is locating at $Eclipse-home/vp.log

You can send to my email address directly:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Please also send me your Eclipse configuration details. You can get it from the About dialog box of the Eclipse.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi don,

I received your files. Thanks for your email. By reading the problem description, it seems to be related to the memory usage. Could you try add the following parameter to your Eclipse configuration ($eclipse-home/eclipse.ini):
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

This should solve the problem.

Best regards,
Jick

Thanks for the response, Jick… I have made the change, but, there appear to be multiple problems with my installation of SDE here. I am still unable to see anything on diagrams, or to create any diagrams, in SDE. VP/UML is still working fine, though.

I will reinstall SDE Professional and see if that fixes things. That is, I’ll do that after I get access to the support area again… I must have forgotten my password.

Hi, Jick… this is getting a bit off of the topic of the original post, but, the problem with SDE I have here seems to be much larger than just the ORM reverse problem. I reinstalled SDE from the latest suite download, and still have the same problem. I can’t view any diagrams, or create any diagrams in SDE. I am attaching a vp.log file which resulted from my opening an existing project… When I called up an existing diagram, there were no objects on the diagram pane, and, when I tried to add any objects, there was nothing added to the pane. I’ll also include the project file I opened.

I’ve also tried to create a new project in SDE, from the start, and the behaviour is the same… I am unable to add any objects to a diagram.

Hi don,

First, I downloaded your project file already and deleted it from the forum for security reason.

Second, could you send me your configuration details again (with the MaxPermSize parameter added)?

Finally, I would like to hold an online meeting with you to check this problem. The meeting will be held over secure connection. Will you be available to join this meeting? If yes, could you when you will be available, and which timezone are you in? Thanks a lot!

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Jick

Hi, Jick… and, first, thanks for your concerns about security. I am in the Eastern time zone, and, yes, I am available for the online conference. You have worked with me on my problems in that way before, and it has been rewarding always. I am available anytime today, before about 5:30PM eastern standard. And, I am available most of next Monday.

I am attaching my configuration file.

Hi Don,

I just sent you an email concerning the meeting. If you have not receive it, please let me know.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Jick

Hi, Jick… thanks again for you help to this point.

I worked with Rain Wong this morning, and my SDE is now working properly. I am running the new version of Eclipse, and have reinstalled the latest version of SDE. But, I am still having problems with reverse engineering more than about 10 - 12 tables at a time from the database into SDE. The application hangs up in a loop, it appears, when I do more tables than that. And, when I do a few tables at a time, another problem presents itself… if tables have foreign keys between one another, and I do not reverse all such tables at the same time, the relationships are not reflected in the model. That wouldn’t be seen as a problem, though, if I could bring over all of the tables from the schema at the same time.

Hi Don,

Could you send me your log file? You can find it at the Eclipse folder. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jick

Hello, again, Jick.

This is hard to explain, but, when I was trying to go through the process to create a clean log file with the problem, I found that everything worked okay this morning.

The only other thing I have done since yesterday, when I noticed the problem, is to delete the eclipse directory that had the old version (3.1.1). I installed eclipse 3.2 into a new directory. I still had the deletion in my recycle bin, so, I restored it, and when I tried the operation, it failed.

So, apparently, changing to the new version of eclipse has fixed the problem, but, there was apparently something still being referenced in the old version, and I had to delete it from my workstation to eliminate that.

But, the result now is that everything seems to be working fine. You may want to keep this in your files, though, in case someone else has a strange problem like this.

Thanks, again.

Hello Don,

Thanks for your reply. If the same issue occur again, please do let us know. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jick