DB Config: Multiple DB of same type?

I need to use VP-UML for DB/table creation, but I use several servers for test,release, etc (all of the same DB product.)
Is it possible to configure or set it up with the DB config dialog ?
Any alternative approach ?
Thanks
Sven

Hi Sven,

Thank you for your post. You can multi-select the databases for generate Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) code which will be compatible with the selected database.

If you want to generate database, you need to set the target database as default (press “Set as Default” button in Database Configuration dialog.

Hope these answer your question. Please feel free to ask if there is any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

No. Not several different database types.

Sample: I use PostgreSQL on 3 different server (prodcution, test, UAT). I need to to configure 3 times the same database type (postgres).

Regards
Sven

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your message. We are sorry that currently we do not support configure multiple server of same type of database in the Database Configuration dialog, but we will consider it.

For workaround, you can configure the details of server and export the setting as XML file. In this way you can reuse the configuration by Import instead of manual configuration again. Please refer to the attached image for where you can export/import the configuration.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

import_export_db_configuration.png

Thanks.
You should consider this function. Another UML product supports this via DB templates.
The import/export is maybe too troublesome.

As an alternative I will create 1 DB create script for each DB type and execute against the various DB instances.
Where can I find the DB create script in ERD ?

Regards
Sven

Hi Sven,

Thanks for replying. Actually you can generate DDL by Tools > ORM > Generate Database (select Generate DDL option). The generated DDL will work for the same database type (e.g. PostgreSQL), so you can use it for all 3 servers in PostgreSQL. More details about DDL generation can be found from attached “Generate_DDL_for_Project.pdf”

Also, you can right-click on an entity (or select multiple entities and right-click on them) and select Generate SQL in the popup menu. This will generate the SQL which you can execute to the database. Please find more details about Generate SQL from attached “Generate_SQL_for_selected_Entity.pdf”.

Hope these are helpful. Please feel free to ask if there is any further question.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong
Generate_SQL_for_selected_Entity.pdf
Generate_DDL_for_Project.pdf