Diagram (export) to text document

Hello!

Is there (already) a practical way to bring graphics (with model elements) into a text format?
Reason: rather than sending diagrams a structured overview in text form is often easier to read

Thanks a lot for your help

Dear Dresdner,

Thank you for your post. Do you mean to export a project file into text-based file format? We support various kinds of file formats in exporting (e.g. XMI, XML). Some users also prefer writing their own plugin to export their model in the way they preferred.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Dear Jick,

Thanks a lot for your clarifying question. It is about a number of similarly structured diagrams (within a project) with individual information which should be transformed into an easier to read format.
Do you have eventually a link to examples of what exports of diagrams could look like?

Many thanks and greetings,
Ralf

Dear Ralf,

Thank you for your reply. Since the export and import function is designed to support a lossless model data transferral in between projects, the exported content has to keep all the information needed to reconstruct a model and is inevitably large and complex. If you want to obtain a simple textual presentation, like:

my class diagram
|_ class A
|_ abstract : false
|_ package
|_ class B
|_ …

I am afraid you have to write your own plug-in, or transform the exported XML file into the format you needed.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Dear Jick,

Thanks a lot for your information on what is possible. Even though envisioned feature does not yet exist I suspect it would be useful for many.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

The existing export feature may be too heavy for your case. I am going to forward this post to our development team for further feasibility studies.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung