Diagrams (sequence & class) corrupted! Happened so many times!

I think i need some instant helps.

i am using VP6.0 Standard Edition Build sp1_20070316, I have a project that is not huge but still have 100+ diagrams.

Every few days, some of the diagrams were corrupted, objects in those diagrams are just suddenly become empty – name, type, description – suddenly just disappeared. “Open specifications” become not available, etc.

it happened to me on voth sequence diagram and class diagram.

i posted another thread few days ago as well as submitted a bug report. But since then, i reworked the diagrams and keep working, and then same thing happened again!

right now i need to max out my backup level and doing back-up-by-hand every few minutes. man, thing shouldn’t be like that.

I attached the log file as well as a screenshot. please help … :evil: :evil: :evil:

untitled.JPG
vp2.log

Hello kaldyra,

I can’t express how sorry I am. First, could you tell me the ticket ID of your submitted problem, so that I can coordinate with my colleague in solving this problem?

Concerning the missing model problem, is it possible for you to send me your project file? In addition to the project file, we would like to have, if possible, a previous version of project that does not contain the problem, so that we can try reproduce the problem based on the ‘healthy’ project.

Second, do you remember what did you before the problem occur? Did you create package under Model pane, and moved the models across different package?

Third, are you using Teamwork Server, CVS or SVN? I would like to make it clear whether this problem is related to saving, or related to missing model when committing changes to Teamwork Server.

Finally, may I schedule an online meeting with you to take a look at your project and your working environment? If you could attend an online meeting, please let me know when you will be available and where will you be (country/city).

Again, we are really sorry for any inconveniences the problem may cause you.

Best regards,
Jick

hi Jick,

thx for your response!

i am not 100% sure but i believe i figured out how to reproduce the same error in this project - whenever i copy&paste a lot of objects from one sequence diagram to another sequence diagram, something bad will happen – as the screenshot i sent earlier; packages will be all messed up (packages will be moved around, classes will moved to different package suddenly, etc)

to answer few of ur questions.

i don’t think i have the healthy file. when i first discovered this problem, it was already too late because all auto-backup files are the corrupted. i started to do crazy backup after i realized the problem but not before.

i need to first confirm with boss if he will allow me to send you the project. if he does, then i can send u the project files.

i cannot remember what i did just b4 the problem occur. but yes i did moved models accross different package sometimes.

and no i am not using teamwork server cvs or svn, i am working alone.

yes can schedule an online meeting, i usually in my office from 10am ~ 6pm EST

for now, i will try NOT to copy&paste anything and see if i can avoid the problem.

Kaldyra

here is the ticket ID
CVT-292969

Hello kaldyra,

Thank you for your quick response. We will review and consolidate our information about this issue, and come back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello kaldyra,

We would like to have your project, not just for finding out the cause of problem, but also try to repair your work. Therefore, I hope that you could send us your project. Of course, we can understand if this is not possible.

I also have one question about moving models across different packages. Did you move models within the model tree by drag and drop?

Best regards,
Jick

hi Jick,

i uploaded my project file in bug report, you can take a look. The ticket ID is JWY-291370. that should be a winrar file.

when u open the project, go to sequence diagram, any diagram with *.corrupted are the diagram with everything dead.

for me to reproduce the same problem in my computer, i just simply create a new sequence diagram, and then open the sequence diagram “Schedule.TechnologistVacation.Create”, hit ctrl-A to select everything, then hit ctrl-c to copy everything, and then paste them into the new sequence diagram by hitting ctrl-v

now, switch to “class repository” view, i saw the Package / Package2 / Package3 created automically, and the existing classes/packages are all randomly relocated. and more sequence diagrams are damaged now!

thx for ur help!

Kaldyra

Hello Kaldyra,

Thank you very much. I received your message (ticket), but it doesn’t contain any attachment. Would you mind resending your attachment? THanks a lot.

Note: Please do not post your attachment here. Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

hi Jick,

I resubmitted the project file to another ticket: AEV-559781

also, for in case u still don’t receive it (isp blocked the file? web blocked from upload a rar file? whateve reason), i replied your email and attached the file in my email, as well as an URL where i uploaded the file so u can download it.

Kaldyra

Hello Kaldyra,

Thanks for your reply. We are going to test this problem in detail. Once there are any news, I will let you know.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

I got an email from Rain, downloaded and reinstalled the fixed release, seems like it fixed the problem and I am no longer able to reproduce the same issue so far, which is good!

I will start doing the copy & paste again, and keep my eye on my diagrams, hoping it won’t happen again.

Thx a lot for all ur effort! I am appreciated.

Kaldyra

hi jick

the diagram corrupted again, but it’s when i moved (drag and drop) models around different package (that u mentioned earlier) (not when i copy&paste)

is it a known bug?

i already tried moving from both class repository pane, model pane; drag and drop as well as just right click and select “move”. At a point the diagrams would just corrupted regardless how i do it

what should i do if i really need to move packages/classes around? is that a “safe” way to do this?

thx!

Kaldyra

Hello Kaldyra,

I am so sorry about this. According to what you said before, you have constantly backup your project files, am I right? Did you keep the project that is able to produce the no-model problem by moving models around package? If yes, could you send us the project file for reproducing the problem? If you can, please send the project file to Rain through our ticket system. Thank you in advance!

Again, sorry about this problem… I wish you have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Jick

hi jick,

i tried but failed to reproduce the same issue from my backup files, maybe it is something else caused the problem but i can’t tell right now.

since i submitted another bug report and downloaded another fix another day, it is not impossible that the problem is fixed with that fix i received, let’s hope it’s the reason.

if i figure out how to reproduce it i will post a bug report.

thx for ur attention.

Kaldyra

Hello Kaldyra,

Than you for your help so far. We all think that your input is valuable to solving this problem. In fact, the sequence diagram is much stable than before. Thanks to your help. I discussed with Rain, and other engineers. We suppose the problem you encountered before are fixed. I guess Rain has sent you the patch. If not, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jick