Disappearing connecting objects

Version: Analyst Edition (Licensed)
Build: sp1_20071018

Connecting objects (Sequence/Message Flow, Association) suddenly disappear from screen and print preview. The only way to bring it back is to move the flow objects, unfortunately this will also cause the connecting objects need to be repositioned.

Condition persists even after closing and re-opening application/project.

Need urgent reply, Thanks for your help.

Kh

Hi kh,

Could you send me your project for reproducing and fixing the problem? Please send to my Email address:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Jick

I can confirm this behaviour. Around August 2007 it happened to me once or twice, too.

I did not see any obvious cause for this.

I’m having the same problem.

Koen

Jick,

Thanks for the reply. My project has grown substantially since my original post, and i have not encounter similar problem since then.

I’ll post the error if the same problem occur in the future. Btw the disappearance occur suddenly, without any user intervention to the system.

Thanks

KH

Hi Kh,

No problem. Just feel free to let me know if the problem appear again. Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

Jick,

The problem still happens in my project: the connections are suddenly gone. And then if you move the pool or do something else they’re back but not as they should have been. See the printscreen …

Can you solve this?

Koen

reappearing.JPG

disappearing.JPG

Hi Koen,

Thank you for your post. Could you send me your project for reproducing the problem? This is my Email address:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

I’ve sent you an email. Please confirm.
Thanks.

Koen

Hi Koen,

I haven’t receive your project file. Could you resend?

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Koen,

I’ve received your file. Thank you.

We just performed some testings with it. But unfortunately (may be luckily?), we are unable to reproduce the problem you have. Which build are you using? You can check the build from the About dialog box (Help > About).

By the way, we would be grateful if you find any steps for reproducing the problem.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick, I have something now that resembles this problem. My flows do not jump around like the screenshot posted by Koen earlier in this topic, but they do get disconnected. So when I try to move a task or so, the flows are left behind.
The strange thing is that SOME flows are disconnected and others are not.

It happened to opened as well as closed Diagrams.
I made regular backups by saving the file with another name, but it seems that BPVA maintains a connection between those files?
If I close a Diagram in one file, save it and then load the backup file, the Diagram is also closed in that file.
Moreover, unfortunately the problem is also ‘backwards compatible’, in earlier versions of my file the objects are also disconnected (in other words: my backups are useless).

Hi All, Hi Jick,

I must say we are also facing the problem here. The issue is that I can’t reproduce it. It just appears from time to time and I can’t find the conditions that triggers it.

Would it be possible that you can send me your project file to have a look? Thanks!

Best regards,
Rain

I think it might be related to the connection between layers.
Each kind of object is placed in separate layers. At some moment, the layers seem to get ‘detached’, leaving some objects behind, while others come along as you move them around.
I noticed that if this happens, mostly (or always?) all objects of the same kind in one diagram are ‘detached’ (i.e. all arrows). My guess is that copy-pasted objects and flows could be an exception to this.

As the objects that are left behind are mostly arrows (flows), and just sometimes intermediate events attached to the boundary of an activity, I’d say that the arrows are in the uppermost layer, and the intermediate events below that?
And because I often see detached flows without detached boundary events, but never detached boundary events without detached flows, I’d say it could be a problem which occurs while rebuilding the model. Could it be that the model is ‘refreshed’ while switching tabs and in some occasions it ‘forgets’ to evaluate one layer?
(which then would leave arrows behind if it occurs only once and also boundary events if it occurs twice).
Maybe one refresh-event interferes with another? (i.e. model-rebuilding because of switching tabs while autosaving; though of course I do not know if rebuilding occurs while autosaving :slight_smile: )

Of course I am just guessing, but maybe these thoughts could just trigger a new idea or clue to find the problem or problems.

Other problems I have come around:

1. sometimes text dissappears from activities. This does not happen with all activities in one diagram at once.
  2. I once or twice experienced that objects got duplicated in the same place! So when I drag one object away, there’s another one underneath it, looking exactly the same.
  3. the Undo-function does not work always. I am not sure if this is part of the same problem, but it also occurs irregularly, but mostly (or always?) with diagrams with ‘detached’ objects (re-connecting a flow to objects does not solve that).

Look at the following example; I have “decomposed a process” :lol:

decomposing a process.JPG

Rain, I suppose you are a developer, can you send me your email adress?
Almost my entire project just broke down, maybe you can have a look at it.

Dear Johan van der Lingen,

Please send to rain@visual-paradigm.com or support-team@visual-paradigm.com. I can receive your file form both email accounts. Thanks!

Best regards,
Rain

For users having similar problems, please try download the patch build at the following link. After install the patch, please select Help > Maintenance > Repair Project to fix up the connectors. If you need any help, please let me know!

http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200712/Patch/sp1_20071130s/Business_Process_Visual_ARCHITECT_Windows_2_1_sp1_20071130s.exe

Best regards,
Rain