Documentation: default font size

Hi,

Can anyone help me find the Agilian preference setting to change the default font size for documentation? Documentation headings seem to default to 10 point (without checking) but data entered defaults to 12.

I am using the PDF report generator on OSX, (as the Report Writer is too limited to warrant running Agilian under XP emulation) & PDF report generator has no style management capabilities override the documentation entered.

Thanks

Keith…

Hi Keith,

I regret that currently the documentation does not allow setting default font size. If you want to make the size appear in PDF the same as the size appear in the documentation, you may consider setting the font size of documentation to be 9.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the quick response & tip on font size.

Is there any ‘select all’ function to avoid having to go through the model item by item (over 100 items)?

Kind regards

Keith…

Hi Keith,

Sorry, but we do not have this option right now. But we will have a feature in that next version which let you save the documentation content as template and reuse it for other models. I hope this can help you a little bit.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the response - templates would be useful. I would also suggest that this problem could be solved by:

1. Creating Project-level Documentation defaults within the Options/Preferences area and/or
  2. At Report-level, having a ‘style sheet’ environment for PDF/HTML report export (which is where your template idea comes in) This would also really need support for multiple Report configurations within the generator tool (so new reports do not delete previous report settings) but would then cater for my basic Report Writer needs on OSX.

Kind regards

Keith…

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your post. I have a question about point 1. By default, do you mean the default for formatting or for content?

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

My current concern is around formatting - default font & size - rather than documentation re-use.

My point (1) was about being able to set project-specific font size to 9, so that for PDF output, documentation label & content has the same format, without having to remember to change from the data entry default in the model & diagramming environment.

In Point (2), I’d like to be able to override this default with report-specific styles for documentation. In an ideal world, this setting would default to the Project default setting but then have a cascading style environment of Project>PDF Reports>PDF Report-X, where PDF Report-X was one of several possible instances of the PDF report generator.

I trust this clarifies things.

Kind regards

Keith…

Hi Keith,

I discussed your suggestion with our developers and we are interested about the default formatting of documentation. I think that we will support that in future. Thanks to your suggestion.

Another update is about the font in PDF report. We decide to make the documentation font size the same as the rest of the report, if the user has never been updating the font size in the documentation. In other words, if you haven’t yet start to update your documentation, hold on, wait for the coming fix, you will find the problem solved.

I will inform you once the fix is ready.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Good news on both counts - thanks. I’ll try to wait with updating the remaining 20% of the changes until the fix arrives - but sadly, my customer may not!! :wink:

What about the idea of being able to create multiple PDF/HTML reports with multiple instance of generator settings? Is this making the feature too much like a second report designer environment (or first for OSX) to support?

Kind regards

Keith…

Hello Keith,

The problem of PDF is fixed. I will send you the hotfix within 30 minutes. We are still discussing the suggestion of supporting multiple report configuration. I will come back to you once there is any progress.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Great stuff! & thanks for considering the quick fix to the ‘OSX report generator’ requirement :smiley:

Kind regards

Keith…

Hello Keith,

This is Jick again. The problem of bad documentation font size in PDF report is fixed. Please download the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200704/Patch/sp1_20070420s/vpplatform.jar

To install the patch:

1. Shutdown any running instances of VP
  2. Replace $vp-suite-install-dir/lib/vpplatform.jar with the downloaded jar file
  3. Run $vp-suite-install-dir/bin/VP Suite.exe to install the patch
  4. Restart the application

Note:

1. If you are going to download with Internet Explorer, you may need to rename the file from .zip to .jar manually
  2. Please do not run Product Update after applying the patch. Otherwise the update will replace the patch with the previous version (I will inform you to run the update when the next release is ready)

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thansk for the quick response but this hot fix doesn’t solve my problem - it has made it far worse!

The new file doesn’t set the default (unedited) font size to 9 point, as requested. Rather, it seems to reduce ALL font sizes in the PDF Report generator output by 3 points. So, of the 150 items in my project, the 100+ I have set manually to 9 point are now too small to read & only those I haven’t altered are at the right size.

As I’m over half way through, I think I’ll reinstall the default & carry on manually.

Thanks for trying

Keith…

Dear Keith,

You are correct. The fix was made on the PDF side, causing un-edited text t use the same font size as that used in PDF report. Sorry for causing you so much inconveniences. To solve the problem, you need to set the font size to 12. Sorry once again.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

No problem - thanks for attempting a fix. BTW It would have worked OK if the fix had been an absolute setting of font size, rather than a reduction.

Please keep the pressure on the product mgt & development teams to have an improved report writier for the OSX platform (& the Windows version looks like it could use some work, whic is why I stuck with the PDF output).

Kind regards

Keith…

Dear Keith,

Just a note to inform you that the fix of incorrect font size is now ready in Service Pack 2, which was released last Saturday.Since you were asked to use a patch, I would like to suggest you upgrade to the latest version, which is more stable than the patch.

To upgrade, please run the product updater inside the bin folder of VP Suite installation directory.

You may want to know more about the new and enhanced feature in Service Pack 2:
http://resources.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite3.0sp2

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

This is good news indeed - thanks & keep up the good work!

Keith…

Very good article, well written and very thought out.

Can you supply a website link with more info?