Duplicate entities getting created while converting LDM to PDM

I created an LDM ER diagram for a data warehouse. The entity is named D Country. I created the PDM using a translation table to translate the field names and entity names (I converted to lower case and underscores).

Now I used few such entities as conformed dimensions and copied them to another LDM ER diagram in the same folder. When I create the PDM, it creates duplicates for the conformed dimensions. I see that the entities are now no longer considering the translation table for the entity names in spite of specifying to use the translation table. So I am getting in PDM a table called d_country as desired and a duplicate “D Country” as well. Is this a bug?

Hi sauravmajumdar,

Thanks for your post. By “translation table”, do you mean the Abbreviation feature? When you synchronize the second logical data model to a physical ERD, did you select the same Abbreviation Set? According to our testing, no matter the Abbreviation Set has been set or not, it will not re-create a new entity. It will just modify the name of the existing entity… By the way, how did you copy the entities to the second logical ER model?

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

SM: Thanks Jick, here are my answers

Thanks for your post. By “translation table”, do you mean the Abbreviation feature?
SM : Yes
When you synchronize the second logical data model to a physical ERD, did you select the same Abbreviation Set?
SM : Yes
According to our testing, no matter the Abbreviation Set has been set or not, it will not re-create a new entity. It will just modify the name of the existing entity…
SM: Did you first create star 1 LDM, convert to PDM diagram 1. Then create star 2 LDM by copying few dimensions and adding new fact, then create the PDM diagram 2. My issue is manifested in diagram 2 and not diagram 1
By the way, how did you copy the entities to the second logical ER model?
SM: I created a new empty LDM diagram in same project. Then I copied the conformed dimensions by selecting and dragging them to the new,empty diagram (diagram #2). So now these conformed dimensions are available in both LDM diagram #1 and LDM diagram #2

Dear sauravmajumdar,

Thanks for your reply. I have captured a video to show you my steps, could you take a look and see if I am correct? Please visit the URL below to watch the video:

As you can see, there is only one d_country even though the synchronization was made from two logical ERDs.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Jick, thanks. You should have the d country copied in another ldm diagram. So in effect there should be 2 ldm diagrams converted to 2 pdm diagrams. Currently you only have 1 ldm diagram

Hello sauravmajumdar,

I have created another logical ERD at about 00:55. BTW, do you have any video capturing tool installed and if yes, could you capture a short video to show the steps? Many thanks.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung