Eclipse 3.2 crash

Good day,
I’m not sure whether I’m having the same problem as “m” (http://forums.visual-paradigm.com/posts/list/1634.html), so I thought I would post in a new topic.

I am experiencing intermittent eclipse crashes while starting and using the SDE. Sometimes while working on a class diagram, the eclipse vm just crashes, and sometimes while starting the SDE. I haven’t been able to pinpoint anything specific.

I generally start the SDE-EC by right clicking on my project in the Java (default) perspective, and then clicking (Open SDE-EC). I then get a message in my message view stating that the project has been opened, and a dialog pops up asking whether I would like to switch to the Modeling Perspective now. As soon as I click yes it crashes. (Not all the time, as I said intermittently).

Eclipse: 3.2.0 Build id: M20060629-1905
SDE-EC: 3.3 (sp2_20060914)
JDK: 1.5.0_07

I don’t see anything in the vp.log file except for this message:
[message] [ Wed Sep 20 11:13:18 SAST 2006]: Start Smart Development Environment Community Edition for Eclipse [SDE CE-EC]: 3.3 (sp2_20060914)

The eclipse crash dialog starts like this:
JVM terminated. Exit code=1
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_07/bin/java
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

Could someone maybe shed some light on this for me?

thanks,
Oscar

Hi Oscar,

If the VM is terminated abnormally, there should have log file(s) produced (with name like hs_err_pid636.log). Do you find any strange log file inside the Eclipse folder? If yes, could you post here? Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Oscar,

Could you copy your Eclipse configuration details and post here? You can find the configuration details at the About dialog of Eclipse (Help > About Eclipse SDK)

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
As requested, my Eclipse Config
Eclipse Config.tar.gz

Hi Oscar,

May I know which windowing system (KDE, Gnome, etc…) do you use? Also, do you see the vm log under the Eclipse folder?

We would reproduce this problem under the same environment like yours.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
Currently I’m using Gnome
rpm -qa |grep gnome-desktop reveals: gnome-desktop-2.14.0-1

When you talk about the vm log, I assume that you’re talking about the “hs” file?
If this is the case there is no hs crash file present.

thanks for your continued assistance,

Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Please add the following parameter to your Eclipse configuration
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

I guess this should solve your problem.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

That seems to have done the trick, thanks for the support!

Oscar

Hi Oscar,

I am glad to know that the problem is solved. If there are any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice Friday and weekend!

Best regards,
Jick