Eclipse in Linux crashes when starting SDE PE-EC

Hi.

I’ve worked on installing SDE for Eclipse on Linux all day, and I’ve hit a brick wall. When I start SDE-EC, right-click on a project and select “Open SDE-EC” to begin working in the SDE, Eclipse asks for an SDE PE-EC project path and then crashes. The program doesn’t shut down, it just hangs while the status bar says “Opening project …” and the progress bar moves back and forth, hogging CPU in the meantime.

Is this a known problem? I’ve tried googling and searching the forums, with no luck. Hope someone can help.

Bump… this is still a problem, can anyone help?

Hi user,

Sorry about the problem. Do you see any log file generated in the eclipse folder? If yes, could you attach it for us to diagnose in further? Besides, did you install any other plugin in the Eclipse you used to install SDE?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi,
I am having exactly the same problem, on a Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit machine with Eclipse Galileo installed. Apart from CDT and Eclox, there is nothing installed. With Windows, everything works perfectly.

Hi,
I am having exactly the same problem with SDE CE-EC, on a Kubuntu 10.04 64 bit machine with Eclipse Helios installed.
Any troubleshouting ideas/links ? (Except maybe the obvious potential conflicts with other plugins ;-)) Thanks!

[quote=solo]Hi,
I am having exactly the same problem with SDE CE-EC, on a Kubuntu 10.04 64 bit machine with Eclipse Helios installed.
Any troubleshouting ideas/links ? (Except maybe the obvious potential conflicts with other plugins ;-)) Thanks![/quote]

In addition to the above: My OS is 64bit and by following:
“Running VP Products on 64-bit Machine” http://resources.visual-paradigm.com/index.php/tips-inst/131-run-on-64bit-machine.html
I copied my 64bit jre (java-6-openjdk !) to the VP intallation replacing the original jre. NO FIX: still hanging on open project after agreeing to the default project path. The vp.log file remained empty … :frowning:

SOLVED (apparently): I’ve installed java-6-sun and set it as the default alternatve, copied the jdk as above and finally it started up! :stuck_out_tongue:

That is with:
*Kubuntu 10.04 LTS
*java version “1.6.0_20”
*Eclipse Modeling Tools, Helios, 20100617-1415
*VP SDE ce-ec, 5.2 sp2 20100720f

(Hope this helps somebody … :?)

[quote=solo]SOLVED (apparently): I’ve installed java-6-sun and set it as the default alternatve, copied the jdk as above and finally it started up! :stuck_out_tongue:

That is with:
*Kubuntu 10.04 LTS
*java version “1.6.0_20”
*Eclipse Modeling Tools, Helios, 20100617-1415
*VP SDE ce-ec, 5.2 sp2 20100720f

(Hope this helps somebody … :?)
[/quote]

It worked fine for me.
Just set your PATH so that you run Java, no openJDK.