Eclipse Integration

I have a problem with installing the Eclipse integration in Debian 5.

I have Eclipse 3.5, the CDT version and VP-UML 7.0. I have installed the plugin “EPP Java Package” which contains the by VP-UML requested JDT. I hope this plugin is sufficient. It was quite hard to find out which plugin has to be installed. To install the integration in VP-UML was then easy.

However, I do not see anything in Eclipse.

Then I have done “Install New Software…” in Eclipse. I have thought the plugin would be visible there, but it wasn’t. I tried to add the plugin (I’m not sure if this is the right way) by select the folder com.vp.vpuml.eclipseintegration_7.0.1.v20090527 in the plugin folder of Eclipse (done that with the “Local…” button). After adding this folder I only see a “No repository found at file:/opt/eclipse/plugins/com.vp.vpuml.eclipseintegration_7.0.1.v20090527/.”.

Eclipse and VP-UML was installed as root in /opt. All other action were also done as root.

What is wrong? How can I activate the plugin?

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your post. We’re sorry that CDT is not supported, and we will consider to support CDT.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian Wong,

is it really not supported? I saw this post of you (http://forums.visual-paradigm.com/posts/list/159279.html#744605, 2nd entry):

This sounds like CDT would work if JDT is installed. Is this incorrect? What is so different with CDT? Would it work if I would use the ‘normal’ Eclipse and install CDT? Does it just not work with the CDT version of Eclipse?

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

SDE-EC should be able to run with CDT + EPP Java Package. But we’ve found that the only entry point is at Package Explorer View’s project popup menu. Could you right click on the package explorer’s project node, and see if you can find the popup menus of SDE?

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

I’ve got VP-UML, not SDE. I guess this is not the same for Eclipse. VP-UML is in version 7.0, build sp1_20090916i and it is the professional edition.

So no, there are no menu entries.

I have another machine. With this one it works a bit as it seems. But there I have Eclipse Java EE edition installed. Also the CDT plugin is installed. With Java projects I see those menu entries ‘New VP-UML project’, ‘Update VP-UML model’, ‘Import’ and so on. But I don’t get these commands on a C++ project, unfortunately.

BTW: If VP was opened by such an command, can I also close it? It seems that I have to close Eclipse to close VP as well.

Best regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

I am sorry. I meant the integration with Eclipse, provided by VP-UML, and yes, we do not support creating UML project from C++ project. We will consider to support this in future.

About the problem of not showing the popup menus, could you check whether the integration was installed or not? Please check the installation details as shown in the attached image.

Best regards,
Jick

cdt.png

Hi Jick

Yes, the plugin is listed.

Is it surprizing that the menu entries are missing? For C++ projects? Or do you expect greyed menu entries?

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

It is true that SDE menus are not available for C++ project. We are planning to support it in the future release that will be available in June.

Best regards,
Jick

Sorry that I have to ask this again. VP-SDE is not VP-UML, right? If VP-SDE integration is available would that also mean that VP-UML integrates with Eclipse? Is VP-SDE part of VP-UML? I know only the integration that I’ve founde here: http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/documents/vpumlideintegration.jsp.

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Yes, SDE and VP-UML are different products of us.

For your second question, it depends on the feature you are talking about. In most cases, if you can find a feature in SDE for Eclipse, you can also find the same feature in VP-UML’s Eclipse integration, for the same edition.

Best regards,
Jick