Element number

We have started numbering all relevant tasks and gateways (and events, if appropriate) manually using the description. The reason for this is that both sorting by ID and/or “follow diagram” do not give logical results. In the case of sorting by ID, this is understandable, as it is sometimes necessary to add an item in an existing process flow.
I am aware that it is difficult to come up with an algorithm which will attribute numerical IDs logically. Especially if you are dealing with processes which cover a multitude of eventualities.
Still, I would also greatly appreciate a feature which attributes numerical IDs to all relevant objects (selectable for tasks, gateways, events, connectors, etc…) and allows automatic renumbering

Hi Christian Tanner,

Thanks for your post. I’m sorry that I cannot get you meaning, would you mind telling me more details or sending me some samples? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I agree - I am working on a project and I need the ability to automatically RE-NUMBER each element. Currently, if I create a process flow and then add an element at the beginning of the flow, when I run that report, the documentation is listed at the end since I created the element last. (not logical) The only other way to run the report is to list the elements alphabetically (also not logical). Is there any plan on creating ability to auto re-number?

Thank you,

Thanks for replying. We will consider about this. At the moment the most easy way (non-automatic) to do this is export the diagram to excel, modify it and import it back to BP-VA. We will keep you informed on any news about this issue. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Rain

I have another question - I have been trying to run a report based on the ID numbers (please see post from 2007/11/16 in this same string) and every time I do, I get an error. “Report Generation Failed”. I have copied the details below:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source)
at java.util.StringTokenizer.(Unknown Source)
at v.lce.compare(:78)
at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Arrays.sort(Unknown Source)
at v.yeo.i(:62)
at v.yeo.i(:78)
at v.iezf.i(:54)
at v.swt.i(:25)
at v.ikej.i(:2961)
at v.ikej.i(:953)
at v.ikej.i(:619)
at v.ircs.i(:95)
at v.fret.f(:99)
at v.hda.d(:47)
at v.iqdd.run(:15)

Is this something that I am doing wrong, or is there a glitch in the program? Thank you!

Hi user,

Thank you for your post. Would you mind sending your project file and the complete vp.log file for investigation? You can find the vp.log file inside the BPVA/bin folder. Thanks in advance!

*If you do not want your files to be accessed by public, please send them to lilian@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Linnea,

Thanks for your projects and vp.log file to my email. I’ve forwarded the details to our engineers to investigate. By the mean time, if you have any inquiry, please feel free to ask.

BTW, below I quoted your message in your email for other user’s reference

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

(Quoted)

Hi Lilian,
Thank you for your assistance. I have attached the file that I have been working on. In essence, I have only been able to run a report in “automatic” order, which seems to be in th order that I created elements. This doesn’t quite work for me since there are some elements that I had to add in the middle, etc. The other way I can order things is by picking “Follow Tree”, however, when I pick that option, it orders the elements in alphabetical order. When I choose the “Sort by ID or Name” I get an error message. I have attached the file and log file as you requested. Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Thank you,
Linnea

Hi Linnea,

Sorry for the delay. I would like to let you know that we fixed the problem of PDF report generation with Sort by id or name, please download the patch from the following link:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200812/Patch/20081209c/Business_Process_Visual_ARCHITECT_Windows_2_4_20081209c.exe

Could you please kindly tell me is the patch work or not? Thanks!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong