ERD diagram symbols

I’m wondering what the various symbols mean on columns within tables in an ERD diagram?
The documentation covers most but not all.
i.e. the “little arrow to page” symbol on far right of a column -what does this mean?
The N is for “Nullable”.
The key column(s) are marked
The Foreign key columns are marked with green arrow on left …
I’m just puzzled by the “little arrow to page” symbol on far right of a column.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory](
[ClaimNo] [int] NOT NULL,
[StatusID] [dbo].[Code] NOT NULL,
[EffTime] [datetime] NOT NULL,
[OperatorID] [char] (10) NOT NULL,
[Comment] [varchar] (255) NULL,
[SeqNo] [smallint] NULL,
[ConcurrencyToken] [timestamp] NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT [XPKClaimStatusHistory] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[ClaimNo] ASC,
[EffTime] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] ADD CONSTRAINT [IDClaimStatusHistoryEffTime] DEFAULT (getdate()) FOR [EffTime]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [IFClaimAchievesStatuses] FOREIGN KEY([ClaimNo])
REFERENCES [dbo].[Claims] ([ClaimNo])
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] CHECK CONSTRAINT [IFClaimAchievesStatuses]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [IFClassifiesStatusHistory] FOREIGN KEY([StatusID])
REFERENCES [dbo].[ClaimStatuses] ([StatusID])
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] CHECK CONSTRAINT [IFClassifiesStatusHistory]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [IFOperatorChangesClaimStatus] FOREIGN KEY([OperatorID])
REFERENCES [dbo].[Operators] ([OperatorID])
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] CHECK CONSTRAINT [IFOperatorChangesClaimStatus]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [ICClmStatusHistEffTimeFuture] CHECK (([EffTime]<=getdate()))
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ClaimStatusHistory] CHECK CONSTRAINT [ICClmStatusHistEffTimeFuture]
GO

That little arrow-to-table icon indicates that the column has (or is part of) an index. Strange though, nothing in your create/alter statements indicates that you have any indices

1 Like

Thanks gemisigo ! I also wondered what the little “a” in top left corner means also ? Seems to indicate that table has child tables … i.e. leaf tables with no child tables do not have this ?

Hi Allan,

This is a model indicator which means “auxiliary view”. This guide written by ShelLuser provides a thorough explanation on this topic:

Best Regards,

Antony.

1 Like

Hi All ,
I’m facing an issue while creating ER diagram for Amazon Redshift database.
I want to create ER diagram for existing database for this I have followed below steps:

Link for tutorial:
This is tutorial for ER diagram creation:
https://www.visual-paradigm.com/tutorials/redshift-to-erd.jsp

I’m not able auto generate ER diagram, the relationship connector I have to specify manually.
what should I do for auto-generated ER diagram ??