Execution bar moves off lifeline on a sequence diagram

This has happened quite a few times and seems to be when the diagram is updated from the server. I am not sure if the execution bar remains in place or the lifeline remains in place, but it always seemed that the execution bars were to the right of the lifeline.

If the lifeline is moved even slightly then the execution bars jump back into proper alignment.

I have the Linux version which I have run on both FreeBSD 12.2 and Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (focal) and seen the effect on both systems. I understand from aco-worker that this can happen on the Windows version.

2021-01-22-143320_475x437_scrot

I was able to capture a screen shot when opening a diagram that was recently added to the project.

Hi Hsw,

Thank you for your post. May I know if you the only one who edited and committed the project?

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

I am the only one who has been modifying the project, but my colleague has accessed it several times. That particular diagram I think was created after our last meeting, so was probably only accessed by me. I think I only used the VM to both create it and read it back. However I did open, but not edit every other Sequence Diagram in the project, but not any of the Block Diagrams using the diagram switcher. I think I had closed the program, but the VM was left running while was doing other tasks.

I just noticed that the exported PNG had the execution bar off the lifeline, even though I had closed the program and re-opened it to change a different diagram. I had to switch to that diagram and move the lifeline to beable to export a correct image.

Hi Hsw,

If you allow, may I collect your project file for repeating the problem? You can upload to:

Password: nkisd89vnksdvvsddsv

Note: only Visual Paradigm staff has access to the file(s) being uploaded.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hello Jick,
I was able to get a small project to exhibit the bug I uploaded execution-bar-bug.zip
there is a README inside to explain my method

Hello Hsw,

Thank you for the files and steps. Unfortunately, we are unable to repeat the problem. I have captured a video to show you our steps. Could you take a look? You can watch here:

By the end of the video, I opened the first revision and performed a commit. That action was to simulate the update of project change made in another machine (i.e. your step 6)

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

When you first opened my file, was the execution bar off the lifeline? Becauseit was each time I opened the file.

I think I did the open / modify both diagrams / close app about 5 times on each machine. Moving between the two machines.

Each modify involved moving the lifelines adding one arrow, switching to the other diagram and dong a simiar edit.

Probably I need to try a more systematic approach fo another try,and will let you know if I can get a more deterministic repetition.

I was able to get replication on a single machine, but it was the “other” diagram that was affected, not the one was displayed.

My method was:

• open VP
  • move a lifeline on whatever diagramwas currentlyselected
  • add a message involving that lifeline
  • Ctrl-Tab toggle to second diagram
  • move a lifeline
  • add a message involving that lifeline
  • close, save and commit

It took 6 repetitions to see the effect
(actually I was trying to repeat the lost description)
Currently I think multiple diagrams have to be changed before the effect shows

I have a screen capture of the effect - it took me over 30 min to see the effect happen. However I could upload just the last5 min to show a couple of the cycles if that might help

Hi Hsw,

Thank you for your reply. I have forwarded your steps to our engineers for testing. If there is any update, I will let you know.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

1 Like

Hello Jick,
If you want the Video capture, it is 30 min and 32MB just let me know and I will upload it

Hi Hsw,

Oh, that would be great! Thank you very much. Could you upload to the following folder?

Pwd: dfmlmkly5o9snkmas

Again, only Visual Paradigm staff will have access to the uploaded file.

Please let me know when uploaded. Thanks for your effort!

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hello Jick,

I uploaded the clip which is just the last couple of minutes showing the bug appear. The full file is just over 30 min and is just me adding and removind arrows and lifelines and closing/opening the VP program watching for the bug to happen.
A rather boring video, Ithink :slight_smile:

This is recorded with the program running in an Ubuntu 20.04.1 in a VM on a FreeBSD host.

Hi Hsw,

With your help, we can repeat the problem now. Thank you very, very much! The problem seems to be related to two moves: (1) move a sequence message vertically in a way that causes the target activation to be detached from the original bar of activation and (2) Move the lifeline

I have already asked our engineers to check and fix. Once again, thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

1 Like

Hi Hsw,

I am glad to inform you that the bug has been fixed. You can now update to the latest patch build (16_2_20210210ac or higher) to obtain the fix. For instructions, please read:

Thanks again for reporting the issue.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

2 Likes