Export from commandline without license

We have made a custom state machine builder, that builds a state machine from the xml representation that Visual Paradigm Exports. This works fine, but the problem is that we need to export the xml every time we change the state machine in Visual Paradigm.

Therefore we would like to integrate the exporting into the build process(which already does the actual state machine building). The command line tool for exporting works fine, but it requires a license file. And since we have floating licenses we can’t guarantee that there’s a license free when the build system needs it and the build would fail at random, which is something that we absolutely don’t want.

I guess we could reserver a license for the build process, and therefore avoid the problem, but this is a bit expensive, since no one actually needs use the UI. Also the build is distributed and could be executed on any machine(allthough we can force it on a single machine if needed).

The other thing we would like to do, is to integrate the xml export into Visual Studio as a post build step. This is even more problematic, since we have many more programmers than floating licenses, that could potentially build at the same time.

So my question is, is there anyway to export the xml without needing a license? I guess one option, although probably not quite legal, is to use the community edition for exporting.

Hi Fredizzimo,

Thanks for your post. We will consider that for floating license customers, when they try to export XML (export XMI, export to report, etc.) through command line, it will access to the Floating License Server to confirm whether there is valid floating license, and will not consume any floating license.

If there is any news on this issue, I’ll notify you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thank you, that’s good to hear.

Hi Fredizzimo,

BTW, please note that the Community Edition is NOT ALLOWED for commercial use, you need at least the Modeler Edition. Further, if you export diagrams, reports, etc by Community Edition, there will be watermark on the diagram outputs.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong