Export/Import to Excel (VP3.3 sp1)

This new feature does not appear to work for Business Process Diagrams (they don’t appear on the selection list for export) is this an error or for future enhancement?

Plus the exported spreadsheet doesn’t appear to have Data Validation on the cells when the property has a set enumeration i.e. kind can only be Function, Performance , Interface. hence invalid values can be set.

It would also be good to be able to optionally export association names (with a selected association property as the cell value) as well as other class properties. This would be useful for creating a matrix style views e.g. RACI matrix etc.

Regards.

Mitchell.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your post. We are sorry that export/import Excel for business process diagram (BPD) is not supported at present, but this will be available in our coming release, VP Suite 3.4. Once it is released (will be in this month), I’ll notify you immediately.

And currently we do not support Data Validation, but we will investigate the feasibility to support in the future. If there is any news about this issue, I’ll also notify you.

About “export association names”, do you mean to export role names of association?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks for the prompt reply Lilian.

I think the Data Validation should be a must as rogue data may overwrite valid data on import.

As for Association name I would suggest it should be selectable by the user as some users don’t spcify role name but just use the assocaition name, where as some do the opposite. Save as for the cell value, this could default to the association description, but again should be selectable.

Regards.

Mitchell.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for replying. But both the ends of association can select property and can reference to attribute in a class, would you mind sending me some samples of your ideas? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Mitchell,

I would like to follow-up the issue of association. We will be happy if you could share your ideas with us, would you mind send me some samples of your ideas you can attach in the forum post or send to lilian@visual-paradigm.com )? Thanks in advance!

And I’m sorry for my late notification of VP Suite 3.4 release, which is available already. In this version we support export/import Excel for BPD, also we will show what will be updated during import (see image). Would this be sufficient to your requirement of Data Validation?

Looking forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

update.png