Frequent Crashes in Report Writer

I am running on sp2_20060914… since the last couple of updates, I have noticed many crashes in Report Writer (request to send a report of the failure, the document is removed from the window). This usually happens when I am doing an update from model with a fairly large document (>20 pages). Also, I noticed that when I removed tagged value sections from the report, on an activity diagram, when I do the update from the model, they are put back into the document form.

Hi Don,

First, sorry for any inconveniences the problem of report writer may cause you. Would you mind sending me your project file and steps to test this problem?

My email address: jick@visual-paradigm.com

About the issue that the tagged value section reappear after model update, I guess this is because you haven’t remove the tagged value section completely. If you click on the ‘Show Indicator’ button on the toolbar, you should be able to identify range of blocks easier.

Best regards,
Jick

Jick… I have sent an email to you with the project file and the report writer directory that I think was current with the last crash. But, I’ll attach it here as well.

Hi don,

I already passed the files to our engineers. If there are any news, I will let you know.

Best regards,
Jick

Say, Jick… one other thing…

I know the save function in ReportWriter is a fairly late addition, but it seems to be a little incomplete. Due to having these crashes, I have been saving frequently, trying to keep from losing much work, but, I have had a few cases where, even though I had done a save before the crash, when I accessed the report again, all of the information from the last session was lost. It seems the only “real” save still comes when the reportwriter is closed, and return is made to the main application. So, I am now closing report writer completely on a regular basis to save the work.

Hi Don,

You are right. The save function inside Report writer is for saving the report, while on exiting, the saved reports will be brought to the project. This may not be a desired architecture, so we will consider improving it in the future release. Sorry for causing you so much inconveniences.

Best regards,
Jick

This error is still occuring. I get it if I use undo several times in a row. The screen partially clears and then freezes

Hi Brian,

I am very sorry about this. As I know we will have some enhancements for the Report Writer in the future release. I will post here if there are any news.

Best regards,
Jick

Jick,

Thanks for this.

I thought I had my account set-up so that I would be notified via email when someone (in this case you) replies to my post, but I did not recieve a message about this response or your response to my document fields question. Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Brian

Jick,

Just discovered that the post notification email was trapped by our corporate spam blocker, I should have fixed this now.

Regards

Brian