Generate PDF / Generate model element/diagram link

Hi,

I thought the purpose of the “Generate model element/diagram link” option is e.g. to generate PDF links betwenn diagram elements and their related sub diagrams.
For example in a use case diagram I have defined for a certain use case a link to a sub diagram. After generating PDF I have expected to find a link from the use case to the sub diagram (sequence diagram). But there is no link.

Why? And what else is the purpose of this function. The documentation http://content.europe.visual-paradigm.com/media/documents/vpuml61ug1/html/Chapter_6_Generating_Documentation/Chapter_6_Generating_Documentation.html gives no further explaination about this.

Best regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry for my late response. If the sub-diagrams of the use case are selected when generating the PDF, you will be able to navigate to the sub-diagram when click on the name of sub-diagram (in the “Sub Diagrams” section).

If what you want is that when you click the model element on the image of diagram, then it will jump to the sub-diagram details, I suggest you use Project Publisher.
Please note that Project Publisher is project-based, and it’s supported in Standard Edition or above.

You can get details about Project Publisher from the following link:

** Please note that you can choose the drill down effect of clicking on the models to open the model specification page, sub-diagrams or the reference (see attached image). This option is available in Advanced Options of Project Publisher.

Hope this helps. If there is any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

click_link_of_subdiagram.png

select-drill-down-effect.png

Hi Lilian,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes, this goes very much into the direction I need. I noticed the links between my use cases on the use case diagrams and the associated sequence diagrams. Very well.

Perhaps one more suggestion: on my sequence diagram I have jumps to other sequence diagrams via “interaction use” fragments. Here you can define also a related diagram. You will even have not any caption on the “interaction use” fragment unless you specify the related diagram.
So IMO it would be quite useful and logical if the project publisher creates hyperlinks for these too.

What do you think?

Best regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for replying. I’ve fired a feature request to our engineers to study the possibility to support. If there is any news on this issue, I’ll notify you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Michael,

I would like to notify you that we enhanced to drill down to referred diagram of Interaction Use as well as Diagram Overview model in Project Publisher. When you run Project Publisher, you can select the drill down effect on Interaction Use and Diagram Overview in the Advanced Options (please see attached image).

After you selected Open overview diagram page in Advanced Options, if you click on the Interaction Use or Diagram Overview on the diagram image in the generated web page, it will navigate to the referred diagram.

You can download the patch which support this drill down effect from the following link:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200902/Patch/sp2_20090212k/VP_Suite_Windows_3_4_sp2_20090212k.exe

Feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

specify_drill_down_effect.png

Hi @LilianWong,

I see, your reply is already 10 years old but I’ll try anyway.

Can you confirm, that in order to keep links between diagrams in a PDF export, we need a Standard Licence? Please see my detailed question here.

If you need to be absolutely sure then I’d advice you to contact Visual Paradigm sales and support directly, just use this link and fill out the contact form.

If I recall correctly you already had a Modeler license? Then you can also log onto your Customer Service page and ask there, I’m sure they’ll be happy to work this out with you.

Hi,

thanks. Issue is solved.