Glossary

Hi Lillian - congrats on the new release…installed and working for me :smiley:

Quick question on one of the new features that I think might be useful but it does overlap onto reports…

I love the idea of a glossary but I wonder if I can twist it to provide a new piece of functionality… Could it be used to wizz through attributes within a class model to pull out the name and the defintion - in essence it would create a data dictionary which would then be updated as and when you change the model (add, modify attributes etc)…

I might have a bash at the windows version to use the new report generator and see if that meets my needs…

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your post. We plan to support highlight attribute and create Glossary from it in VP-UML 7.1 SP1 or SP2.

BTW, in VP-UML 7.1 SP1, when you enter a term that is name/alias in Glossary Grid, it will be highlighted as an indication.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian - did this make it to the feature list of 7.1?

I ask as I am in the process of creating some documentation…

Hi Toby,

Thanks for replying. I’m sorry that it requires some times to implement, so it be supported in VP Suite 7.1 SP1 (next release on November) or VP-UML 7.2 (expected to be released on mid-December 2009 or January 2010). Please let me know if you have any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian - I have used the extra couple of report commands to generate my own Glossary for now, a fix in an upcoming release will be fine; The pressure is off me at the moment…

Just a shame that I can’t do it under OSX :wink:

Hi Toby,

Thanks for replying. Do you mean generate Glossary Grid in Report Writer? We are sorry that currently this is not supported but our development team will investigate it.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Is it possible to have a Glossary term highlighted if you use the text in a Requirement?

Hi user,

Thanks for your inquiry. I’m sorry that currently Glossary term will not be highlighted on models, but we will enhance the application to support this. I’ll let you know once there is any news on this issue.

Since the Text of requirement is equivalent to documentation of requirement, you can switch to the Documentation pane when the requirement is selected. You will see the Glossary term highlighted in Documentation pane (see attached image). Hope this helps.

Please let me know if there is any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

glossary_term_highlighted_in_doc_pane.png

Hi Lilian,

The highlighting is great; optionally having it displayed as a link may be even more useful.

Hi user,

Thanks for replying. Do you mean linking to the Glossary Grid for viewing details of the highlighted term?
If so, you can right-click on the term and select Open Glossary Term in popup menu to do so (see attached image).

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

right-click-to-go-to-glossary.PNG

Hi Toby,

I would like to let you know that current version (VP Suite 4.2 SP1) supports generate Glossary Grid in Report Writer - you can refer to attached image.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

generate_Glossary_Grid_in_Report_Writer.png

We have just released VP Suite 5.2 which now support highlight glossary text directly in diagram. More details about this feature can be found at

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/diagramtools.jsp#highlightglossterm

Best regards,
Rain