Google Drive Excessive Permissions

I tried to save a VP diagram to my Google Drive. When authorizing VP to use Google Drive I was asked for the following perms:

That seems unreasonable to me. I don’t want VP having access to all my files. Is this a GDrive problem (not granular enough permissions) or a VP problem (excessive permission request)?

Thanks

Hi,

VP will access the thumbnail and related diagram files from your drive only, but the read only permission is necessary for showing diagram thumbnail in google drive file chooser.

Hi Kit,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my feedback here, as a security focussed person, is that I’d rather sacrifice nice UX like a thumbnail than give 3rd parties full access to my data. I’m continuing for now by using VP cloud storage. I wouldn’t use Google Drive if permissions are so broad.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your comment. We want to provide the best user experience, but we understand your concern. Great to hear that you’ll continuing using VP cloud storage, but we’re now considering to provide an option to disable the thumbnail, so that you can also use the Google Drive feature.

Hi Andrew,

We added an option to disable thumbnail and reduce requested permissions.
We’ll release it soon and I’ll let you know when it is ready.

Hi Andrew,

The option is available now.

Hey Kit,

Wow! That’s probably the best response I’ve ever seen from support. Great job. Thanks very much

Andrew

2 Likes