Heatmaps and Archi data

Hi all,
I am evaluating VP but I’m finding myself in an odd situation, maybe because I’m doing something wrong?

I expected to be able to create a heat diagram from the data in an Archimate stereotype, but I can’t find a way to do that. Same as creating links between an Archimate process and a table imported from a database… it seems that Archimate objects can only relate to other Archimate objects, and the same applies to BPMN or ER objects: what am I missing?
Thanks,
Pino

Hi Pino,

Thank you for your post. There are two methods to relate a model with a diagram.

Method 1: Sub-diagram

Sub-diagram is a diagram owned by a model element. When you move a model to another location within the model hierarchy, the diagram will follow, and when the model is being deleted, the diagram will be deleted as well. In other words, a sub-diagram is a part of a model element.

To create a sub-diagram:

1. Click on the shape (For your shape, it should be an ArchiMate shape)
  2. Click on the tiny arrow icon at the bottom right of the shape. If you want to create a new diagram, select New DIagram. If you want to make an existing diagram become a sub-diagram of the selected element, select Existing Diagram…
  3. If you have selected to create a new diagram, you will be prompted the New Winodw window. Select the type of diagram to create and click Next.

You said you want to create a heat map, I am not sure if you want a statistical heat map or an ArchiMate -style heat map. We support both heat map chart and ArchiMate.

Method 2: Reference

Reference is a kind of loose connectivity. While sub-diagram is a part of its parent, a reference diagram does not enforce such a coupling between the referencing element and the diagram. To create a reference between an element and diagram:

1. Click on the shape (For your shape, it should be an ArchiMate shape)
  2. This time, click on the tiny icon at the bottom left of the shape.
  3. Select Add Diagram… from the drop-down menu.
  4. You will be prompted to select the diagram(s) to reference with. Make a selection and confirm.

No matter you have chosen to create a sub-diagram or a reference diagram, you can open the diagram(s) being selected via the tiny icon at the bottom left/right of a shape.

Finally, you can relate elements with diagrams in any type. This means that you can make an ERD become a sub-diagram of an ArchiMate process, or adding a UML activity diagram as a sub-diagram of a BPMN task, etc.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi, not sure I was clear. Let’s take a practical example: TOGAF Impacted organization units and Maturity assessment.
I created this:

As you can see I added a tagged integer value called Maturity to all the actors. Now, I move to the Maturity assessment and… there is no evident way to use those actors and the Maturity tag to feed the Maturity assessment diagram (cannot embed more than one picture… )

The same happens with the Heatmap chart: I can add the chart but I can’t see any way to use objects’ tags in the Heatmap or Capability Assessment. I see that I can take the data from an Excel or Google sheet, but I don’t see any options to associate the content of the maps to the objects in the architecture metamodel. How can I do that?

Also, it appears that I cannot create a data access link between an Archimate element (i.e. a function) and a table imported from the DB (cannot embed more than one picture… ). I suppose the same applies to BPMN relationships? Is this by design or I am missing something?

Best regards,
Pino

Hi Pino,

Our TOGAF Guide-Through provides a step-by-step process guide that guides user through the completion of ADM activities. The way how ADM activities and steps shall be performed are pre-defined. Users just need to follow the instruction in creating the diagrams to obtain the process deliverable. Part of the information entered will be reused and even transformed into other artifacts and these artifacts will be further detailed in the rest of the process. Since the tagged values you entered is outside of our process scope, we are unable to handle them. You may consider to create your own work items and use it in your process instead of using our predefined one to achieve you goal, or to get a Process Author license for creating your own custom process.

Regarding the heat map I’m sorry that currently, it only support importing data via Excel file or Google Spreadsheet. It does not support directly getting model data and presenting it into different charts. However, this is one of the features that will be supported in the future.

Regarding linking ArchiMate elements with database, it is subject to how your database is being model. If your database is modeled with our ERD, then you can simply establish reference between ArchiMate Elements and your ERD or particular entity in your ERD (by clicking the bottom left resource icon on the ArchiMate element). If your database is not modeled with our ERD but can be accessed by URL then you can also use the reference approach to establishing a linkage.

Our product is running in model repository based structure. All the elements you created such as ArchiMate elements, entities, BPMN tasks, etc… can be reused across different diagrams with the model details automatically synchronized. You can simply drag & drop elements from Model Explorer tree into diagram editor to reuse them.

Feel free to let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Pino,

I’m using stereotype to show element with different state in my diagram. Each stereotype have is own color. is it that you are looking to produce?

Hi PierrotB,

Sorry for the late answer. No, that would assign a stereotype which carries a colour, messing up the shapes layer colour everywhere. I need to be able to generate a heath map diagram based on the content of the properties defined in a stereotype.

Hi Pino,

The style associated with a stereotype is optional. You can assign a stereotype to a model element without affecting its look.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung