How to depict Multi (n-th) level inheritance in UML Class diagram?

If there is a class Z extending Y which extends X and so on so forth till A, how should we draw the diagram to depict the relationship in class diagram?
I’m sure there should be a way to draw it without making all 26 class boxes…

TIA
Nitin

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your post. You really need to drag Generalization for every inheritance level. But if you want to have the inheritance between classes but do not want to show all views of classes in same diagram, you can first create the generalization between classes and them remove view of classes as well as generalization from the diagram. For details, please refer to the flash below:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200807/FlashDemo/inherit_class_in_another_diagram.htm

But you said “sure there should be a way”, did you read any other approach from some reference or documentation? If so, would you mind to share with us? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

[quote=Anonymous]If there is a class Z extending Y which extends X and so on so forth till A, how should we draw the diagram to depict the relationship in class diagram?
I’m sure there should be a way to draw it without making all 26 class boxes…[/quote]

You will need to illustrate all the classes and their relations if that is what you’re modelling. There is no “way” to simplify this model without losing information. In practicality, if you encounter such a scenario, I would consider revisiting the design.

But as Lilian requested, if you find a reference indicating a method of modelling this idea, let us know.