How to insert notes for (sets of) messages into a sequence diagram?

Hi,

How can I insert notes into a sequence diagram similar to the book search example shown here: https://www.visual-paradigm.com/guide/uml-unified-modeling-language/what-is-sequence-diagram/ ? I mean the notes on the left side of the diagram.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Anja,

Sorry but I don’t understand what do you mean the notes on the left side of the book search example? Are you referring to the big yellow image?

Antony.

Hi Antony,

I’m referring to the very last image on that site. With notes I mean the text-based description of the main and alternative scenarios on the left side of the actual sequence diagram.

Anja

Hi Anja,

Since these annotations are not part of the sequence diagram notation, you need to create these notes using the “Text Box” shape in the Common palette, which allows you to enter description in rich text format. You may also find other tools like “Image” and freehand shapes (e.g. Callout, Rectangle) useful in elaborating your diagrams.

The Freehand palette just below the Common palette, provides set of tools that allow creating even more advanced annotation shapes.

Best Regards,

Antony.

Hi Antony,

Thanks a lot, that’s what I was looking for!

Best wishes
Anja

1 Like