How to represent stages of development?

Hi,

What is the best way to define development stages in VP-UML? If there is a diagram how could one see that it is completed? Or how could one mark that a diagram is a draft? And how can this be depict within the model explorer? Elements with name ‘draft’?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your inquiry. You can add Models to the Model Explorer - you can select the Analysis Model, Design Model, Implementation Model and Deployment Model (also As-is Process and To-be Process for business process modeling) from popup menu, or define your own Model to fit your system.

After adding the Model, you can add existing diagram or new diagram as sub-diagram of the Model by right-click on the Model and select Diagram > New Diagram | Add Existing Diagram. Elements created in Model’s sub-diagram will become children of the Model.

BTW, you can find details about Model creation and organization of models from the following link:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/diagramtools.jsp#modelorganization

Hope this is helpful. Please feel free to ask if there is any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Lilian,

I know about the model (more or less, still). But what would you suggest for marking elements (model elements, diagrams) as draft, just-in-development, proposed, finished or released? I have seen that this possible in Enterprise Architect from Sparxsystem. How could this be realized within VP-UML?

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for replying. Would you mind to send me a sample of your expected approach (or how Enterprise Architect support this)? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I don’t know much about EA. I’ve found this (see attached image).

There you have the field Status on the right side. I don’t know how this field can be used, beside setting it directly. It would be very helpful for project managers to get a fast overview of elements that have a certain state. Or imagine a company gets a new software developer that is asked to look into the VP-UMP project to get an overview of the project. How could the developer find out what is completed, what is in development (within the VP-UML project) or what is just a draft?

Imagine the project is completed. The model with VP-UML would optimally contain all elements of all phases of the development (from requirements and use cases or even textual analysis up to deployment and release plan). One that looks into such a project knows that all is accomplished within VP-UML. Everything makes sense, all is understandable. Optimally, of course. But what is with an unfinished project? Consider an iterative process where parts are completed within all model models (analysis model, …, deployment model) new parts will be added, also to all model modells. So there is a bit of a mess during model development and there is no way to find out what is in development or what is completed.

You could argue that this should be part of the project management. But I would find it helpful if this would be reflected within VP-UML somehow.

Would Tagged Values be helpful? Or should extra packages get inserted (e.g. proposed use cases, in-development use cases, approved use cases, …)? Or what would you suggest?

Thanks,
Robert

status.png

Hi Robert,

Thanks for replying. We plan to support assign Status to models in VP-UML 7.2 (expected to be released in mid December 2009 or mid January 2010). I’ll let you know if there is any further news on this issue.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Robert,

I would like to let you know that release candidate (RC) of VP Suite 4.2 is deployed and I sent you a private message with the link of RC. Please feel free to download it for trying and let me know if you have any comment on this feature.

For your information, the RC supports not only Status on elements, but also other properties for project management (as shown as image).

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

project_management.png