Incompatibility with Oracle JDK 1.7 on MacOs/Netbeans

Dear all,

recently I installed the last version of VP-UML (VP 10.0 SP1_20121110av) with the last Netbeans (7.2.1), and Java 7 (Oracle JDK 7u9). When I start VP SDE (either by the Tools menu or right-click on a netbeans project), there is a splash screen and both VP and Netbeans freeze. Not even a hard-uninstall of both Netbeans and VP-UML solved the problem.

Finally, looking at Netbeans log I found out that VP-UML failed to launch due to a “NoClassDefFoundError: apple/laf/AquaTableUI”. It seems that the Apple Look&Feel library is no longer delivered with Oracle Java, so VP-UML fails to start. :evil:

A temporary solution to launch VP-UML requires changing Netbeans default java to 1.6 (on netbeans.conf), but this prevents us to develop with JDK 1.7. :?

I hope a patch (using a different UI library?) will be published soon.

Best regards

Hello lsteffenel,

Thank you for your message. We found that the problem is caused by the new JDK 7 on Mac conflict with some library we using. Please try to install the JDK 6 on your Mac, and configure the netbeans to run with JDK 6 as a workaround. You can specify the JDK for running NetBeans by modifying the netbeans_jdkhome variable under netbeans.conf file:

i.e.: netbeans_jdkhome="/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home"
(please change to the path to your JDK 1.6)

We will review on the compatibility issue on supporting JDK 7 on Mac, but this will take a bit time. We will keep you post once there are any update. If there are any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Rain Wong

I cannot run VP using JDK on MacOS X 10.9, presumably for this reason.

Downgrading to Java 6 is not an option.

I hope this can be fixed soon!

[quote=Anonymous]I cannot run VP using JDK on MacOS X 10.9, presumably for this reason.

Downgrading to Java 6 is not an option.

I hope this can be fixed soon![/quote]

Still not fixed even now with Java 7 going EOL next year.

Any plan to include support for Java 8?

Thanks
Anonymous

You need to have administrator rithgs in order to edit the file. Run your text software as administrator. Assuming it’s notepad under Windows 7 here’s an idea of what you need to do. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories , right-click Notepad , and click Run as administrator, then simply open netbeans.conf, modify it and hit save.

I’ve been using Visual Paradigm for many many years now. Today, I’ve installed it on my brand new Mac with Java 8 and Java 7… and I’m asked to use Java 6 to install it. Java 7 is going end of life in a few months. You better have to fix this and make sure Visual Paradigm can work with Java 7+ (which also means Java 8)

In the meantime I won’t be using Visual Paradigm as there is no way I’ll install a JDK 1.6

Antonio

[quote=agoncal]I’ve been using Visual Paradigm for many many years now. Today, I’ve installed it on my brand new Mac with Java 8 and Java 7… and I’m asked to use Java 6 to install it. Java 7 is going end of life in a few months. You better read this phen375 review to fix this and make sure Visual Paradigm can work with Java 7+ (which also means Java 8)

In the meantime I won’t be using Visual Paradigm as there is no way I’ll install a JDK 1.6

Antonio[/quote]

imo Visual Paradigm is the best though. Nothing even comes close to beating it right now.