Increased CPU usage with particular diagram types

Hello

While evaluating Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition I’ve noticed that some diagram types (e.g. state machine, use case) cause an increased CPU usage (~30% on my Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz). It is enough to open an empty diagram to provoke this behaviour. Closing given diagram results in CPU usage drops to 0-1%.

Other diagrams (class, communication), even populated with objects, does not suffer from this issue.

VP for UML CE 7.2, build 20100121
Ubuntu 8.10
Linux 2.6.28-16-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP i686 GNU/Linux

Hi user,

Thanks for your help. May I know:

1. Are your diagrams containing many shapes?
  2. Did you open many diagrams at the same time?

Would you mind to attach your project file for us to investigate the memory usage issue? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Here are steps to reproduce:

• create a new (empty) project
  • create a use case diagram
  • create a state machine diagram
  • CPU usage goes up to 30%
  • close one diagram (does not matter which one)
  • CPU usage goes down to 0%
  • reopen closed diagram
  • CPU usage goes up to 30%

One more thing - the increased CPU usage occurs when Nimbus LAF is choosen in Options→General→Appearance. If I switch to Metal LAF everything is ok. Too bad that Metal UI is an abomination. :wink:

I can confirm this behaviour. As much as I love the Nimbus LAF, I switched back to Metal when I noticed a significant hit in performance and resource usage.

Hi user, David Chung,

Sorry for my late response. Our engineers are checking this issue and I’ll come back here once there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi user, David Chung,

I would like to notify you that we have fixed the abnormal memory usage problem with Nimbus Look & Feel, please run “VP Suite Update” to update your product to latest patch (20100215f or later). Details about update to latest patch are available at:

Please let me know if there is any inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I’ve been using build 20100215g and things are looking good so far with Nimbus. However, I encountered the following increased CPU usage scenario, which can be reproduced with a new project:

A workaround is to close the submachine state’s state machine diagram. That is, don’t leave both diagrams opened. While viewing the parent state machine diagram and the CPU usage increased, if I close the submachine state diagram, then the CPU usage drops back down.

Hi David Chung,

Thanks for reporting this issue, and I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to follow-up. I’ll come back to you immediately once there is any feedback or fix.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi David Chung,

We fixed the problem and please update to latest patch (20100215k or later) by “VP Suite Update”. If you need details about updating to latest patch, please visit:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Yes, the latest patch resolves the issue. I’ll post an update if I encounter any other occurrences.

Updated to 20100215k.

I’ve tested both mine and David scenarios and could not reproduce the bug anymore.

Thx.

Hi Davis Chung, user,

Thanks for replying and please let us know if any problem is found again. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong