Inderpendent Diagrams, breaking the Master and Auxliary Structure

Hello,

In the mission to keep everything tidy I would like to keep several versions (v1,v2,v3) ERD diagrams within one project so I can flip between them at will.

I’m aware of the Master and Auxiliary and the role it plays. I think I understand it can be avoided by copying and using the Paste Model Element feature

However doing so places a number at the end of my Entity titles so Genre becomes Genre2 for example

Steps followed thus far

1. Created first ERD Diagram
  2. Opened a new Diagram using Diagram>>New
  3. Went to first ERD Diagram used Select All and Copy
  4. Went to new Diagram and used Paste Model Elements
  5. Renamed Genre2 back to Genre. Error Renaming this shape will make it a auxiliary view of existing Entity with same name"

Thus im put back into the Master/Auxiliary scenario I am trying to avoid

I saw also the idea that Elements of the same name can’t existing in either root or in a Model. Creating a new model and creating a diagram under this also gives the same results.

Would be nice if there was a simple on/off button for Master-Auxiliary setting. I hate to think the tool is too advanced for my simple requirements.

Hi volts,

We suggest you place your diagram in different Model.
Once Entity is under different parent, they can rename with same name.
Screenshot1

Besides, Paste Model Element feature,
We supported Transit to New Diagram… for Entity Relationship Diagram.
Transit to New Diagram… will create a copy of current diagram with Transit From/To traceability in same time.

Remind that select or create another Model during the transit.
Screenshot3

Please update the software to latest patch build (build 20200230af or later for v16.1) to get the enhancement. Details about update to latest patch can be found at

• Please make sure you have pressed the “Update to latest patch” button on the left hand side of the dialog right after launching the update program

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Best Regards,

Roy.

Excellent Roy

Im now able to create new models and use the Add Existing Diagram function to move diagrams from the root.

Where i’m failing is seeing the "Transit to New Diagram " option under Utilities.

I’m on 16.1 build 202000230aj after running throught he update/patch procedure