Installation fails un Ubuntu 7.10

sudo sh ./VP_Suite_Linux_3_1_sp1_20071018.sh
Unpacking JRE …
Preparing JRE …
Starting Installer …
/usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:71: Engine “ubuntulooks” is unsupported, ignoring
/usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:242: Priority specification is unsupported, ignoring

Then a blank window which presumably is the product selector.

I also tried the noinstall version.

Hardware: lenovo t61p

[quote=Anonymous]sudo sh ./VP_Suite_Linux_3_1_sp1_20071018.sh
Unpacking JRE …
Preparing JRE …
Starting Installer …
/usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:71: Engine “ubuntulooks” is unsupported, ignoring
/usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:242: Priority specification is unsupported, ignoring

Then a blank window which presumably is the product selector.

I also tried the noinstall version.

Hardware: lenovo t61p
[/quote]

Works with a soft link to my own jre

Hi user,

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best regards,
Jick

Could someone please explain to me how i can get visual paradigm installed on my ubuntu 7.10 as i keep getting an installer screen but it is blank!!

Thanks

Hi user,

Please try disable 3D desktop and try again.

Best regards,
Jick

As a workaround for 3D Desktop Effects, I created a simple startup script. This should get rid of the blank grey windows:

launch_vpuml.sh

!#/bin/sh
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit 
sh "/opt/VP_Suite3.1/launcher/run_vpuml" 

Replace the location in the last line with the location of the file ‘run_vpuml’ if you installed in a different location.
The main workaround is the export line.

Make the file executable with “chmod +x launch_vpuml.sh” or right-click->properties->permissions->Allow executing file as program.

Then edit your Applications menu and make a new item, the command should be "sh /home/username/launch_vpuml.sh"
The icon is located in “/opt/VP_Suite3.1/.install4j” and named “run_vpuml.png”

Note: this can happen in many Java programs. This workaround usually works for all Java apps with this problem.

[quote=Anonymous]As a workaround for 3D Desktop Effects, I created a simple startup script. This should get rid of the blank grey windows:

launch_vpuml.sh

!#/bin/sh
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit 
sh "/opt/VP_Suite3.1/launcher/run_vpuml" 

Replace the location in the last line with the location of the file ‘run_vpuml’ if you installed in a different location.
The main workaround is the export line.

Make the file executable with “chmod +x launch_vpuml.sh” or right-click->properties->permissions->Allow executing file as program.

Then edit your Applications menu and make a new item, the command should be "sh /home/username/launch_vpuml.sh"
The icon is located in “/opt/VP_Suite3.1/.install4j” and named “run_vpuml.png”

Note: this can happen in many Java programs. This workaround usually works for all Java apps with this problem.[/quote]

Hello!

Thank you very much by the tips! I've been running lately with the same issue. Fixed now with that yours script. I just wanted to know what does that export line does to make it work. I'm just asking you this just because I'm newbie and is always good to know something more.

Thanks

Jorge Daniel

I receive a different error which I don’t understand. Terminal reports:

./VP_Suite_Linux_3_1_sp1_20071119.sh: 229: bin/unpack200: not found
Error unpacking jar files. Aborting.

A miña solución é a seguinte:
abrir unha consola e escribir
#metacity --replace
noutra consola executar o sh de VP

My solution is next:

write into console # metacity --replace

into other console you may to execute VP’s shell

thanks

Mi solución es la siguiente:
abrir una consola y escribir
#metacity --replace
en otra consola ejecutar el sh del Visual Paradigm

GALIZA IS NOT SPAIN

Had the same problem… fixed with the script though. I think that should be part of the installation guide.

Hi users,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will soon prepare a resource page for this issue. Once the page is ready, we’ll inform you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

This is a Beryl issue, and therefore inherited by compiz-fussion also; Beryl causes Java Swing components to not be displayed. Basically this is a fix for Beryl to properly handle Java apps that use Swing Toolkit as their look and fell engine. The default value for AWTToolkit variable is the old AWT Toolkit used by Java apps. It should be explicitly set to MToolkit for Beryl to “enable” Swing support, or in other words, to properly handle Swing based Java apps.

Hi users,

I would like to let you know that the resource page regarding to this issue in Linux is available now. You may visit the page at the following link and I hope the article would help.

http://resources2.visual-paradigm.com/index.php/tips-support/53-support/61-blank-screen.html

If you need any assistance, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Team through http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/technicalsupport.jsp

Best regards,
Lilian Wong