Instant Reverse C++ does not recognize inheritance

I am just evaluating VP-UML. One very important feature is a simple way to reverse engineer existing C++ code. Instant reverse seems to works well for C++ but no inheritance relationships are recognized. Ther are no generalization relationships in the reverse engineered model. Even something as simple as this is not parsed correctly

class A {
public:
  int X;
};

class B : public A {
public:
  int Y
}; 

Actually, it also doesn’t recognize the Y member of class B.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Roland

Hi rbaumann4,

Thank you for your enquiry.

First, about the problem of missing the Y member of class B, this is because the declaration is not ended properly with a semicolon, like this:

int Y;

The Y member will show up again when there is a semi-colon.

About the missing generalization, please try this:

1. Right-click on the Super Class
  2. Select Related Model > Show Relationships > All from the popup menu

Please feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

thanks for your reply.

The Y member will show up again when there is a semi-colon.

Oops, you are right. Never do an example without asking the compiler :wink:

About the missing generalization, please try this:

1. Right-click on the Super Class
  2. Select Related Model > Show Relationships > All from the popup menu

I tried this, but without success. When I add the generalization relation manually, these steps work and I can also see the relationship in the Class Specification dialog of classes A and B. However, there is no generalization relation after instant reverse. But I cannot believe, that instant reverse is not able to parse inheritance in C++. So I might still be missing something here.

Regards,
Roland

Hi Roland,

Could you post the log file here? You can find it at $vpsuite-install-dir/bin/vp.log

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

here comes the log file. Lots and lots of warnings about “null” stereotypes. In the last session in this log file I again startet instant reverse on the file containing the two classes.

Best regards,
Roland

Hi Roland,

May I hold an online meeting with you now to take a look at this problem? In the meeting, I can see your screen. If you agree, I will setup the meeting now and send you the information to join the meeting.

Best regards,
Jick

OK, sure.

Thanks Roland, I just sent you the information about meeting. Please let me know if you have not receive it.

Best regards,
Jick

I did receive the invitation. But I am running a Linux box. The online meeting requires Windows.

Sorry,
Roland

Sorry Roland. I will test again in Linux

Any solution to this?
I’m experiancing the same problem on Linux.

Best regards,
Uffe

Hi Uffe,

I just sent you a message. Please check your mail box.

Best regards,
Jick

Thx, it works fine now

Best regards,
Uffe

That’s great. Remember not to update the doxygen file when updating the VP Suite. :smiley:

Hello, all

I have the same problem with inheritance. How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks

Hello kashej,

Which OS are you running? Could you send me your vp.log file ($vp-suite-install-dir/bin/vp.log) for identifying the problem?

Best regards,
Jick

Hello, Jick

After starting of eclipse it will be created the file “vp.log” in the eclipse installation folder. I dont have this file in the VP installation folder.

Please, say to me your email-address.

Best regards

Hello kashej,

I didn’t realize that you are using SDE for Eclipse. For your case, please send me the vp.log file that you can find under the Eclipse folder.

By the way, I also want to, if possible, collect the source code from you for reproducing and fixing the problem. Could you send to me as well?

My email address is:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jick

I also find that if you have invalid doxygen comments, the file is unable to be seen by VPP so need to check the comments as well.