Irritating configuration of class access modifiers

First of all: you did a great job with VP, I enjoy working with it.
But there ist also space to mention some minor flaws:

Currently I am using:
Version 6.1 (Build sp1_20071119)

For my project I need several class diagrams with different level of detail. So in some if them I want to disable the display of the class access modifiers. I see two ways to change them.

(perhaps the option translation is not correct, I am using the German version …)

1. Tools -> Options -> Drawing Diagrams -> Class -> Presentation -> Style of visibility -> None

I assume this will change the default at project level. Because I want the default to display the visibility I check UML style.

1. “mouse context menu (nothing selected)” -> presentation options -> option configure class diagram -> style of visibility -> None

I hope this shall configure the visibility at diagram instance level.
The problem is that this won’t affect new created classes. Adding attributes to them will display the access modifiers.

Is there a clean way to configure this on diagram instance level without changing the whole project settings?

Hi Serethos,

Thanks for your post. Actually the 2 ways you tries are taking effects differently:

1. Tools → Options → Drawing Diagrams → Class → Presentation → Style of visibility → None
    I assume this will change the default at project level. Because I want the default to display the visibility I check UML style.
    This is the global setting that affect the newly created diagrams but will not take any effect on existing diagram(s).
  1. “mouse context menu (nothing selected)” → presentation options → option configure class diagram → style of visibility → None
    I hope this shall configure the visibility at diagram instance level.
    The problem is that this won’t affect new created classes. Adding attributes to them will display the access modifiers
    This will only affects the active diagram, newly created diagram will not be affected.

BTW, the product version you are using is quite old, our current version is VP-UML 6.3. I suggest you to use our latest version software since there are new features and enhancements. Details about the new and enhanced features in VP Suite 3.3 can be found at News Releases - Visual Paradigm International Ltd.

If there is anything I can help, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lillian,

this is quite interesting, becaus the presentation options within the contex menu affect only already drawn entities in my diagram. When I put another class into the diagram, its access modifiers are displayed again.

Perhaps the problem depends on my old version, so I asked myself, why am I not up to date? Because my update manager tells me I am! =)
Is there another way of updating VP without the manager?

Hi Serethos,

Thanks for your reply. For the presentation options issue, I’ve passed the details to our engineers to investigate. If there is any news about this issue, I’ll notify you immediately.

And for the update issue, would you mind to send your existing license key to lilian@visual-paradigm.com so that I can check whether you are entitled to product upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong