Is it possible to set alias for classes and attributes in community edition?

I want to set a friendly Chinese alias for classes and class attributes, it is possible in community edition?

Hi Hugebrush,

Thanks for your post. Could you please clarify your meaning of “friedly Chinese alias”? Thanks!

FYI, the issue about the blurry Chinese in SDE for NetBeans and VP-UML you reported is under investigation, I’ll keep you informed for any news regarding to this issue.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I’m sorry, it’s a spelling error. It should be “friendly Chinese alias”, and means “alias in Chinese which is friendly for talking with peaple speaking Chinese”. I have corrected my post.

Hi Hugebrush,

Sorry for my late reply. I’m sorry that I still can’t get your meaning, could you please explain more details on this? Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Sorry, I am poor of English, and can’t express myself in English freely.
What I need is setting alias for classes and their attributes. According to some article on this site, maybe alias is called nickname in the VPM-UML.

Hi Hugebrush,

Thanks for your reply. Do you want the “class” and “attribute” to be displayed in Chinese as “类” and “属性” respectively by default (please correct me if I understood your meaning wrongly)?
Since implementation in source code requires class and attribute names in English, we do not show class and attribute names as Chinese by default.

But you can define the class and attribute names in Chinese by the Nickname feature, which allows you to present a project with multi-languages (of course, any code engineering on the models will be in English). More details of assigning Nickname to model can be found at http://oldresources.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite3.2/assigning_nickname_to_model.html

If there is any further inquiries, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

My meaning is set two name for a class or an attribute, one is the realy name and it’s in English, the other is an alias and it’s in Chinese in my case. For example, there is a class named “order”, I want to set “订单” as its alias, and can choose to show the realy name or the alias in diagrams. Now I think the nickname is the mechanism to do it in the VP_UML. Nickname isn’t supported by community edition.

Hi Hugebrush,

Thanks for your clarification. Yes, you are correct that the Nickname feature is not included in Community Edition, it’s available in VP-UML/SDE Standard Edition or above (also available in DB-VA, BP-VA and Agilian).

If there is any further inquiries, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Is there any follow-up development? When setting the attribute of Class in the EA software, it is in English characters, but there is also Alias ​​that allows us to fill in Chinese characters. When displaying, it is displayed in Chinese in Alias, so that we can see more clearly. When ERD is generated, English will be used as the field name, but Alias ​​will be used as the comment for the field.

Hi iming1011,

Thank you for your inquiry. Your need can be achieved by using the NickName feature as Lilian said. I am including a video below to show you how it works.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Yes, I think this can solve my problem, and it can support displaying more languages, thank you for your explanation

客气了 :slight_smile:

Feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions.