Is there any support for external JARs?

Hello!

I am evaluating the SDE Professional Edition for Eclipse and I really like the code generation support, but I haven’t been able to discover if and how to use external JAR files added to my project in Eclipse. Does the professional edition support reverse engineering from class/jar files ? And if it does, I’d really appreciate some hints on where to start, and I’ll work my way from there.

Also, is it possible to add a dependency relationship between a class and a package so that SDE will generate import statements for that package in the class source ? I have added an <> relationship, but it didn’t generate the import statement, maybe I’m doing something wrong ?

All in all, this seems to be a great tool, good work !

Peter

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your message. You can reverse your external jar file using the Instant Reverse feature under the Modeling menu. And for the dependency issue, we are sorry that currently it will not generate the import statement base on the dependency relationship. The import statement will be generated automatically when the class referencing the other. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

Thanks, I don’t know how I missed it, it was right under my nose :slight_smile:

The Instant Reverse thing is very good, but unfortunately, it will fail if the jar is significantly large (Java can be such a memory hog sometimes). Very often, only a small subset of the JAR is used, so some filtering (perhaps by package) would be very useful. I think I’m going to post a Feature Suggestion about this, since I think this is the only feature that sets SDE-EC apart from my ideal modelling tool.

Again, good work. I like the Interactive Tutorials and the Free Courses too. Great idea ! I think this is what the internet was invented for in the first place. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Peter

Dear Peter,

Thanks for replying and you suggestion. I’ve forwarded your suggestion to our engineers to follow-up. Once there are any news, I’ll let you know. In the meantime, I suggest you can unpack the jar file and only reverse the classes that you need into model. This can greatly enhance the memory usage problem. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

hello Rain,

do you know if the Peter’s suggestion is now resolved?

thanks

Hello lagson,

Yes, we already support on-demand reverse engineering of Java through Instant Reverse. You can reverse sources (.java, .classes, .jar, .zip) as indexes, and pick up the classes from the model tree only when you need it. The actual reverse engineering will take place when you select the class from the tree to reverse to the project or to form a diagram.

Best regards,
Jick