Java Runtime Distributed with Linux Build (sp1_20090718)

I noticed that the Linux build of VPUML runs quite sluggish compared to the Windows build and chalked it to the machine I was using the Linux build on since the machine was somewhat old.

However, I tried running the Linux build on a newer machine and the sluggish performance was still there so then I became curious.

I checked the Java version that was distributed with the Linux build and noticed that it was version 1.5.0_12, which is quite old. (The Windows build also uses the same Java binary version but it seems to run fine anyway.)

My Linux systems are running Ubuntu 9.04 so I grabbed their latest Java package, which gave me version 1.6.0_14. I then deleted (renamed) the java binary included in VPUML and created a link to my system’s java binary and now VPUML runs as smooth as the Windows build, even on my old machine!

This Java version also resolves the desktop effects problem.

I don’t know if this was already noted but I’d thought I’d share it here.

Hi D6chung,

Thanks for your post and hints for other users. We will bundle JRE 1.6 instead of 1.5 in the future so some problems related to JRE 1.5 can be solved.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I thought these forums were moderated…

Hi D6chung,

Sorry about the spamming, which we removed already.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

[quote=LilianWong]Hi D6chung,

Thanks for your post and hints for other users. We will bundle JRE 1.6 instead of 1.5 in the future so some problems related to JRE 1.5 can be solved.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong[/quote]

For VP UML 7.1 (20090918), the Linux and Windows distributions still have JRE 1.5._012.

My workaround using a symlink in Linux still works and Windows seems unaffected so this is not a huge issue.

Hi D6chung,

Sorry that we do not bundle JRE 1,6 in VP Suite 4.1 yet, it will be available in VP Suite 4.1 SP1 or VP Suite 4.2

Best regards,
Lilian Wong