Linked Projects and Code Generation

Hi Rain,

I’ve found another potential problem - when you use the linked project functionality it does not generate the elements that are linked:

Project A - a full logical mode of a number of applicaitons and includes a number of classes that provide xml simple types (using the same xs:restriction code that you fixed for me last time).

Project B - a specific application that wants to make use of the simple types that are defined in Project A.

Lets say that in Project A I define a class called FirstName which I limit to string35 with the xs:restriction TaggedValues

In Project B I have an attribute called PersonForeName with a type of FirstName from Project A.

It generates the Project B xml but does not include the definition for FirstName from Project A. A side issue is that it puts the linked datatype into Project B’s namespace.

Hope this sort of makes sense!

Regards
Toby

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your post. I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to check. I’ll come back to you once there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks Lilian…

Hi Lilian - any news?

Hi Toby,

I’m sorry that our engineers are working on this issue and I’ll let you know once there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Toby,

Sorry for my late response. Our engineers fixed the issue and you can update to latest patch (sp1_20090902c or later) for the fix.
Now you can go to Advanced Options of Instant Generator and check the option “Allow From Linked Project” (see attached image), then you will see the model tree of linked project which you can select the class model from for code generation.

Please feel free to let me know if there is any question.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

allow_linked_project.png

Thanks Lilian - I am just downloading the update so will let you know…

Many thanks in advance though!

Hi Lilian - other than setting auto-update to ‘every start’ is there a better way to trigger the upgrade process? I seem to be stuck on Build sp1_20090829…

Found it in the Launcher folder - have now ticked the patch tickbox so it should be ok.

Hi Lilian,

It seems to work on the couple of test projects - I will have a go with the big ones although I think I will have to work with packages so that it is easier to generate.

Only a small issue but when you go to generate it does not filter based on the classes that have been referenced - the default is to generate all of the referenced project which can make it quite large…if it is possible to add an autofilter so that it only picks up the items that are referenced :wink:

I can work with the patch though - just depends on if you think my implementation is sort of a good idea!

oh and the other bit of good news is that VP UML seems to work well under OS X 10.6 aka Snow Leopard…

Hi Toby,

Thanks for replying and it’s good that everything went well. For your suggestions on auto filter on referenced classes when run Instant Generator and checked “Allow From Linked Project”, I’ve passed to our development team to study the feasibility to support it. I’ll keep you informed for any news on this issue.

And you are right that the latest build already support Snow Leopard! :smiley:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong