Merging projects, unify model

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve been searching around and using the search feature and couldn’t find any topic on the following:

I’ve have a complex issue. Two or more projects, that supposedly had to be only one in the begging.
Due to lack of resources and time (namely an SVN server from the start) we had to create separate projects that possess a similar model to back up the diagrams. Now I want to unify them, as for the original idea. The problem is that if I export the project as a VPP or XML and import it in another project I’ll get the new diagrams for sure, the only problem is that part of the model (the one semantically shared with the other projects) will be duplicated. Example: I’ve reversed a database in both projects so I’ve the same tables in both projects modeled as artefacts, one project uses one table and the other uses the same table in a diagram (let’s say “Client”), the only problem is that the model is nominally different, both artefacts have different Ids both are semantically identical, I cannot have one table modeled two times as if they were two different tables, is certainly inconsestent.

The question: Is there anyway to merge two or more projects and avoid the duplication of the model? Alternativelly. Could I make a diagram element point to a different artefact in the model once the diagram is created?

Hope I was clear enough. Thanks.

Hi Dicardo,

Thanks for your post. We are sorry that currently we do not support importing projects but not duplicating models (same name), we will enhance our import/export XML function to deal with duplicate model element issue.

And if you have purchased our license and are within the software maintenance period, please send an email to support@visual-paradigm.com , we will help you to merge your projects.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

[quote=LilianWong]Hi Dicardo,

Thanks for your post. We are sorry that currently we do not support importing projects but not duplicating models (same name), we will enhance our import/export XML function to deal with duplicate model element issue.

And if you have purchased our license and are within the software maintenance period, please send an email to support@visual-paradigm.com , we will help you to merge your projects.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong[/quote]

Thanks for your help Lilian.

Hi Dicardo,

You are welcome.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong