Misaligned Objects

Often after spending a while editing a diagram with Snap to Grid enabled (I tend to have this enabled all the time) I find that some objects are no longer properly aligned with the grid or with each other. Here’s an example:

You can see that the flows are no longer properly aligned with the corners of the gateway. Sometimes when this happens if I drag the objects and flows a little bit, they will re-snap to the grid and then everything will be OK, but other times, as in this case, nothing I can find to do will get these objects to align properly.[ul]Why are these items getting out of alignment with the grid and with each other in the first place?[/ul][ul]What can I do to get them to realign?[/ul]
Ideally they should not get out of alignment at all. If this is difficult to avoid in certain circumstances, then there should be a command to realign everything on the diagram (or maybe better would be all selected objects on the diagram) with the grid. If I have to go round the diagram physically readjusting every individual object to make the diagram neat, that’s very time consuming and annoying.

Thanks - Rowan

Hello Rowan,

This problem some how is related to the snap to grid setting plus zoom ratio of your diagram (when snap to grid is on, and in particular zoom ratio, the connection point cannot fit on to the grid). The most simple workaround is turn off the snap to grid in your diagram. You can right click on the blank area of the diagram to open its specification dialog, and turn if off there.

Best regards,
Rain

[quote=Rain]This problem some how is related to the snap to grid setting plus zoom ratio of your diagram (when snap to grid is on, and in particular zoom ratio, the connection point cannot fit on to the grid).[/quote]Surely the grid should not be dependent on the zoom ratio? If I zoom in or out, surely the grid should zoom in or out to the same degree? This is how all other graphics programs that I’ve used (e.g. Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw) work. It is true that if you zoom out too far in these programs, there may not be enough pixels on the screen to get things in exactly the right place. But this is easy to fix by just zooming in again and re-clicking things to the grid. The worst thing about this problem with BPVA is that things which I’ve not been editing can somehow move, or even get rescaled or distorted. This means that in order to be sure that the diagram is neat and tidy, I have to inspect the whole diagram - every object, flow, annotation, text box, pool, lane etc. and check that it is still the correct size and shape and that it’s still in the right place. Very time consuming…

The most simple workaround is turn off the snap to grid in y.our diagram.
I really don’t want to do this, because then things will be even more difficult to line up. I need an easy way of lining things up in my diagrams, and snap-to-grid (if it works properly) is a good way of doing this. Is there another way of stopping this happening?

Thanks - Rowan