Misbehaving Deployment Diagram

Am using VPUML 5.2, but am unsure if this problem was in previous versions. When inserting resident components into nodes in diagram, the nodes are automatically resized to beyond what is necessary to include the components. Sometimes the nodes are resized to cover other nodes, and these are then automatically included as children. Then, it appears there is no easy way to disassociate these nodes from one another.

Hi Don,

I tried to repeat the problem with your steps, but without success. Everytime I create a resident components into nodes, the nodes would not be expanded. Could you capture a few screenshot to show me your actions?

Best Regards,
Jick

Attached is a powerpoint file with screenshots of the problem.
Thanks for looking into it.
VPUMLProblem.ppt

Hi don,

Thank you for the detailed description on this problem. The PowerPoint is very useful in explaining the problems that you encountered.

First, it is a bug for dragging a Component from tree to diagram causnig the existing nodes to expand themselves. I will notify our engineers for a bug fix and post here when the fix is deployed.

About failed to associate component with node in model tree, actually the location of Management_BOSS was following the master view. Let me explain a little bit on this point.

Let say if you drew diagram D1 and added a model M1 in it. Afterwards, you drew another diagram D2 and created a package P1 in it. Now, you drag M1 into P1 in D2. Take a look at the model tree, you will notice M1 is still locating under the root instead of inside P1. This is because M1 was originally creating in D1, so the position will follow D1. In this case, D1 is called the ‘master view’.

Hope the information has helped.

Best Regards,
Jick

Thanks, Jick, for the quick reply, and all is understood.

don

Hi Don,

I am glad to notify you that the reported problem is fixed. Please download the hotfix at:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200606/Hotfix/20060611c/vpplatform.jar

Please read the article below for the steps required for installing the hotfix release.
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/tips_and_tricks/general/replacing_hot_fix.html

I will post again when a formal release is ready.

Best Regards,
Jick

Jick… it looks like the attachment you sent is a zip archive, rather than the java archive vpplatform.jar. Right?

don

Hi Don,

I guess you downloaded with IE, am I right? IE would convert the file extension from .jar to .zip. Please rename it to .jar after downloaded.

Best Regards,
Jick

Yes… it all works fine now. Thanks again for the quick response.

Hi Don,

You are welcome.

By the way, our new version, VP Suite 2.3, is released. Since you were asked to apply the hotfix, I would recommend you advance to the complete release of VP Suite 2.3 if your license cover this version.

Best Regards,
Jick

Yes, I am anxious to try it… I will download it now. But, I’m concerned about needing a new license key. Every time I have done a major upgrade, I have needed for you to send a new floating license key.

It does appear I need a new floating license key. the one I am using for vp2.2 doesn’t seem to be recognized by this version.

Hi Don,

If you purchased with software maintenance, and if your maintenance period has not expire, you are entitled to a free upgrade. You can login to our online Customer Service Center to download the license key of the new version. If you are unsure about your purchase status, you may send me a private message with your licensee information. If you like you may contact me through email (my email address: jick@visual-paradigm.com)

Best Regards,
Jick