Missing symbols in activity diagrams?

Hi!

I’m searching for some symbols in activity diagrams and can’t find them anywhere…

1. When calling an activity in an activity diagram there should be a little fork-symbol in the calling action to tell the reader of the diagram that an activity has been called. How do I create such a symbol?

2. Also in activity diagrams: It is possible to create guards on control flows. There should be the possibility to mark these guards as exception. I read in an UML-book that there should be a small triangle in front of the guard. How do I produce this?

Thanks a lot!

JJ

Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for your post.

#1 Could you please provide me with an image about the fork-symbol that you are talking about? I could not find an example from UML Specification.

#2 Yes, you can create guard on control flows. To create guard, right-click on a control flow and select Guard… from popup menu.

I read in an UML-book that there should be a small triangle in front of the guard.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the pin and select Open Specification from popup menu.
  2. From the General tab of the pin specification, define a parameter for it.
  3. From the parameter tab, check Exception, and commit the changes.
    You should now see a small triangle appear next to the pin.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi again!

#1 Could you please provide me with an image about the fork-symbol that you are talking about? I could not find an example from UML Specification.

I have attached a small picture of an action calling an activity. I know about this kind of presentation from the standard books for UML 2.0 in Germany (“Die UML 2.0 Kurzreferenz für die Praxis” from Bernd Oestereich and other books). If there are books available in English, I do not know.

You should now see a small triangle appear next to the pin.

After following your instructions (defining a new parameter for a pin, enable Exception and so on…) I still cannot see any triangle, even when activating the Presentation Options “Show InStates” and “Show Constraints”.

What am I doing wrong?
I’m using Community Edition 5.0 Build 20050624u.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Fork.PNG

Hi Anonymous,

I understand now. I just found from the UML Spec. a diagram of activity with rake-style symbol within the symbol. I have passed your enquiry on to our developers, and will get back to you as soon as I can.

The steps you performed is correct, but the build you are using is quite old. Please install again the latest release. This should show the triangle symbol properly.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi Anonymous,

I would like to notify you that we will support the rake-style symbol for activtity in our coming version - VP Suite 2.2.

Best Regards,
Jick

I would like to notify you that we will support the rake-style symbol for activtity in our coming version - VP Suite 2.2.

Thank You very much!

You are welcome! Thank you for your post. :slight_smile:

Hi Jick

Can you please advise if and how to actually add the rake-style symbol for an activtity within the VP version 5.2 Build sp2_20060518…

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

The model that support rake-style should be Action, not Activity. To show the rake symbol, right-click on an Action and select Open Specification… from the popup menu. Afterwards, set its type as ‘Call Behavior Action’, then assign it a behavior.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi Jick

thanks for this - works perfectly

Cheers
Steve

Hello:

Usually we use activity diagrams to describe business processes (or business use cases). Before when we were designing in Rational Rose, we could relate the actions with business entities (objects in this case). I have several questions about it:

In that case, the relationships were dependent (dashed), but now the available relationship is an association (object flow). Some people use the generic conector and make it dashed. Using other relationship does not create a contradiction in what you want to represent? Also I do not understand why this differences exist, if it is the same modeling language, just change the tool.

Furthermore, to say that those were business entities, we used to define different stereotypes. Where I could get these stereotypes? Why are not defined by default?

I would be very greatful if I could find a example of a complete activity diagram, using all the elements of the notation (swimlanes, objects, synchrontization bar, decision nodes, etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.