Mobile Visual Paradigm UML Tool

Greetings,

I’ve been thinking this would be pretty neat for a while now (it may just be me) but I wanted to see if other people had this same interest. I tend to be on my phone quite a bit (whether I’m using Windows Mobile or Android) and I haven’t found any UML Modeling applications (not even mentioning a full blown CASE tool) . I could try porting over a open source UML tool to accomplish this, but I would much rather see a company’s product, especially a company where I already use some of their products.

I think it would be pretty sweet porting over a version of Visual Paradigm UML 8.0 (or below) to either Android, Windows Mobile, IPhone, etc. It might just be me, but I think it would beneficial not to have to pull out my laptop and fire up Visual Paradigm if I want to make a sudden addition to a VP project. If I was in the elevator or walking down the street and get a sudden idea that I would like to implement, sure I can add a note on my phone and look at the note when I have a workstation available but how awesome would it be to be able to make those changes, save that file and be able to sync those changes to my workstation through my phone?

Maybe I’m just a tech enthusiast, but I would find that highly beneficial as a developer.

Just before the haters start rolling in:

A. I know each mobile OS is completely different with each of their own specific SDK’s.

A workaround would be to use a Mobile OS standard like Java FX OR develop for each independent Mobile OS (very limiting).

B. Visual Paradigm is highly integrated with Java and the specs on a Mobile Phone wouldn’t handle it

Optimizations could be made to decrease amount of memory used, certain features that wouldn’t be needed could be stripped away.

There’s a lot more that I’m missing, but keeping in mind that it is just something I would like to see come to fruition and don’t expect to see (at least within this or possibly next year). With that in mind what does everybody think?

Michael Lantz

Apparently people don’t want this as much as I did. I decided to see if it would be possible with one of the most powerful mobile devices out there. I decided to buy the n900 mainly to see if this venture would be possible. I just wanted to confirm that I succeeded in getting Visual Paradigm 8.0 sp1_20101012 along with netbeans running. I can now develop on the go. For anyone who wants to accomplish the same thing you will need easy debian and openjdk. Upon launch Visual Paradigm will detect the java environment being used and not force you to use the jre supplied with with the VP suite. Both neatbeans and visual paradigm are quite useable I might add.

Sincerely,

Michael Lantz

I replaced my phone and was able to get Visual Paradigm + Netbeans working on my HTC HD2 (After some tinkering with jre/bin files supplied by noinstall Linux version of Visual Paradigm). Requires Ubuntu 0.3 but runs quite smooth as does Linux. I can even use a mouse and Keyboard via USB Host :smiley:

Hi,

I see that you got visual paradigm on a phone. There is a posibility to get it working on android?
Or just only in linux for mobile. U just install the OS in a VM or did you make another trick?

I will try to get it installed in a vm, and also I will see if i can get eclipse in my phone.
I got a Samsung galaxy note, with android 2.3.

If you can help, that will be so usefull thanks a lot.

Hi,

I see that you got visual paradigm on a phone. There is a posibility to get it working on android?
Or just only in linux for mobile. U just install the OS in a VM or did you make another trick?

I will try to get it installed in a vm, and also I will see if i can get eclipse in my phone.
I got a Samsung galaxy note, with android 2.3.

If you can help, that will be so usefull thanks a lot.

No Idea how to tweak but I definitely want Visual Paradigm on my Galaxy Note 800 (Android 4.0.2).