Moving from DBVA-EC 4.2 to 5.1

Do we need to uninstall and install again if want to move from DBVA-EC 4.2 to 5.1 ?

Hi Santm,

Thanks for your inquiry. To avoid starting application of wrong version, I recommend you uninstall DB-VA 4.2 and then install DB-VA 5.1. And I believe you will not use DB-VA 4.2 when you installed v5.1.

Also, as DB-VA is installed on IDE like Eclipse, you must uninstall old version before installing the new version since you cannot install both DB-VA 4.2 and 5.1 on same IDE.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thank you Lilian for responce. If I uninstall 4.2 and install 5.1 , I am scarrd if it impacts existing 4.2 files. Could you please confirm if this is backward compatible ?

Hi Santm,

Thanks for replying. DB-VA 5.1 can open projects created in DB-VA 4.2. However, projects are not backward-compatible, i.e. projects saved in DB-VA 5.1 cannot be opened by DB-VA 4.2.
It will create a backup of your project (.vpp.bak) when you open the project saved in DB-VA 4.2 by DB-VA 5.1 (renaming .vpp.bak to .vpp will be able to open it by DB-VA 4.2).

Please feel free o contact me if there is anything I can help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

After downloading a fresh copy of DBVA-EC (build 20091023) , I noticed that the file name is VP_Suite_Windows_4_1_20091023.exe , which is little misleading if this is 5.1 exe or 4.1.

Also, after running this setup , will I need to run 5.1 key directly or we must first run 4.0 original key and then the 5.1 upgrade key

Hi Santm,

Thanks for replying. DBVA-EC is bundled in installation of VP Suite (VP_Suite_Windows_4_1_20091023.exe you got), version 4.1 of VP Suite bundles version 5.1 of DBVA-EC.
By the way, VP Suite is a software package which covers all client products.

In order to upgrade from DB-VA 4.2 to 5.1, please import the original license key then the upgrade license key (if your original license was imported to License Key Manger before and you did not remove it, you can simply import upgrade license key). More details about product upgrade are available at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/articles/recover-sw-and-license.jsp

Hope these help. Please feel free to contact me if there is any further question.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong