MS SQL Server timestamp columns being shown as datetime in Visual Paradigm ERD?

Have people noticed MS SQL Server timestamp columns being shown as datetime in Visual Paradigm ERD? Is this an issue for other people ?
Can I please request for Visual Paradigm to support MS SQL Server timestamp data type? (different to datetime data type).

Seems that we should be using a datatype of Rowversion rather than timestamp in sql server table definitions.
i.e. I spotted this article:
http://www.sqlines.com/sql-server/datatypes/timestamp_rowversion

Hi,

Rowversion is available after select SQL Server Version 2008 or higher in Database Configuration.

1 Like

Hi Kit.So,
I tried with a column of type RowVersion and VP turns this into datetime also …
Am I using the wrong DB connection options?

Hi,

The option should be correct. Could you show me the problem about “VP turns this into datetime”?

Hi Kit.So,

(I had thought I had created as data type RowVersion in SSMS )

Even still … VP is turning timestamp into datetime …

cheers, Allan.

Hi,

We identified the problem about reverse database didn’t handle the deprecated “timestamp”.
A patch will be available soon.

1 Like

I would like to let you know the rowversion column being reversed to model as timestamp problem has been fixed. Please update the software to latest patch build (20191020av or later) to get the problem fixed. Details about update to latest patch can be found at

• Please make sure you have pressed the “Update to latest patch” button on the left hand side of the dialog right after launching the update program

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

1 Like

Now all datetime fields for MSSQL are converted to timestamp fields in the Class diagram created from the ERD.

The problem with this approach is that MSSQL only allows ONE timestamp field per table. So if I have two datetime type fields in a table - the Hibernate code throws the MSSQL Error about only allowing one timestamp per table when trying to create the DB from C#.

Seems like maybe the Class Diagram generation should allow the user to select a global row version field name to use if there is one?

Hi Lindsey,

Do you mean a table contains 2 timestamp fields in ERD?
What are the steps to reproduce? Synchronize from class diagram?

Hello Kit,

I used Visual Paradigm to generate an ERD first. It showed the correct datetime field types for all SQL datetime fields. Then I used the code generate wizard (.net) to try and generate code from the ERD.

When I ran the code and included the Hibernate code line to create a DB - I got the MSSQL error about not allowing more than one timestamnp field.

I looked at the class diagram and it was showing timestamp field types instead of datetime field types for all datetime fields.

Thanks,
Lindsey

Hi Lindsey,

Thank you for the information. We are able to reproduce the problem and working on a fix, we’ll let you know when it is ready.

Hi Lindsey,

I would like to let you know the timestamp field problem has been fixed. Please update the software to latest patch build (build 20191260ae or later for v16.1, and build 20191230ae or later for v16.0) to get the problem fixed. Details about update to latest patch can be found at

• Please make sure you have pressed the “Update to latest patch” button on the left hand side of the dialog right after launching the update program

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.