NullPointerException for XMI Export

I’m using a bought/licensed VisualParadigm for UML Modeler Edition Ver. 5.0 (20050624a).
I have a project with 3 ClassDiagrams and 4 SequenceDiagrams.
Because at a previous development step I deleted other (4) existing ClassDiagrams I’ve seen that even some of deleted model entities were used in SequenceDiagramas , after ClassDiagrams deletion that model entities were missing from SD.
So to reuse that entities:

• I exported one ClassDiagram from previous version of project.
  • then imported (now I have 4 CD) this in my current project.
  • used model entities in existing SequenceDiagramas (lifelines updated with missing class info)
  • deleted imported ClassDiagram (now I have 3 CD)

Tried to export to XMI , but in bin/vp.log I got:
[Thu Oct 20 12:31:13 EEST 2005]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Modeler Edition [VP-UML ME]: 5.0 (20050624a)
ip : [our license server ip]port : [our license server port]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at v.pal.i(:207)
at v.pal.d(:87)
at v.pal.i(:44)
at v.bkk.f(:50)
at v.ahu.i(:458)
at v.plh.t(:228)
at v.plh.i(:103)
at v.wgr.i(:66)
at v.ahu.i(:248)
at v.ahu.i(:130)
at v.ahu.i(:40)
at v.rbr.i(:571)
at v.fzt.d(:22)
at v.gtw.run(Unknown Source)

Then I tried to export all 3 CD +4 SD diagrams into other new project and after save tried to export to xmi again , but no success again, log is like this:
[Thu Oct 20 13:39:06 EEST 2005]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Modeler Edition [VP-UML ME]: 5.0 (20050624a)
ip : [our license server ip]port : [our license server port]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at v.pal.i(:207)
at v.pal.d(:83)
at v.pal.i(:44)
at v.ahu.i(:248)
at v.ahu.i(:130)
at v.ahu.i(:40)
at v.rbr.i(:571)
at v.fzt.d(:22)
at v.gtw.run(Unknown Source)

Finally I deleted all existing diagrams from this new project and tried to export as xmi again but same NullPointerException as last one , all of these with an supposed empty project.

Making a new empty project from File->NewProject (not reusing an old project) was a success in export to xmi.

I attached the empty project obtained by removing all diagrams.
You can use it to get same VpUml behaviour that I got.

I would like to say that we are stucked as we synchronize our projects using xmi (to have same ids for model entities).
I also hope for an better and quick problem solving because we really need this problem to be solved somehow (to export our existing projects to xmi).

Thank you for understanding and your help.
AnEmptyProject.vpp

Dear szMihai,

Thank you for your message. According to your log the version that you are using is quite outdated. I recommend you update to the latest build and try again. I’ve sent you the direct link for download the latest build. If the problem still persists with the latest version, could you mind send me the log file to have a look? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Rain

I would like to thank you for your quick answer but when I tryied to download again the last build at http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/download.jsp?product=vpsuite , platform Linux (75.8MB) , click Download , I’m prompted to get same version that I already have installed (VP_Suite_Linux_2_0_20050624.sh).
Is there any numbering issue in this archive: VP_Suite_Linux_2_0_20050624.sh , or is the same that I already have installed and can be seen from logs?

Thank you again for your quick answer and I hope for a professional resolution of this problem.

Dear szMihai,

Thanks for replying. Although the build no. in the file is the same, but actually the software was changed. You can see the changes inside the log file. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

Nice!

It is really a new build and version, and more of that I was able to export as xmi my original project and get some let’s say usefull warning messages, anyway good to be there.
At xmi export I got two warning messages like :
“Message’s ref model not found, id:oNRjEOC…blah,blah, some not user friendly application internals”

Importing back the xmi (got almost same warning messages reffering to internal id’s) I could identify one of the two possible causes:

• a “lost message” from a lifeline
    (a little strange behaviour also here: if you click and delete the big point only - choose also to delete the message , the problem is still there , but if you click and delete the message , the problem is no more there)

The second problem was not so visible comparing resulting diagrams from xmi import with original ones.

If your software engineers can add a new feature/enhancement to visualy point the problematic component into diagram or tree would be really great.
Also “Log Details” table column header are not resizable or suite the contained text - “warning”.

Anyway you have a great application!

Thank you.