Orthogonal aspects of business process model

Typically buisness process model is perceived as a collection process dynamic diagrams (for example drawn using BPMN notation). However it is very often usefull to add different aspects of organisation’s process view, like information model, business rules, entity state machines. It is very easy to define theses aspects using UML notation (class diagrams for information models using some set of stereotypes; state machines for defining entities life cycles, requirements stereotyped as business rules) and link these orthogonal aspect together (for example BPMN artifact representing UML class).

Do you plan to extend BP-VA with support for class/state modeling ?

Regards, Artur

Knock, knock…may I expect any feedback on this thought ?

Thanks, Artur

Hi arturK,

Sorry for overlooking your message. Our new product, Agilian suit your need perfectly.

With Agilian, you can model with all diagrams. For information about Agilian, please visit:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/ag/

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

Doesn’t it mean that BP VA is not suitable for advanced business modeling ? Besides it is nt possible (at least, I do not know how) to assign bpmn artifact to class which is an example of realisation of the link between two aspects of the model.

Regards, Artur

Hello Artur,

Thank you for your reply.

We agree that your need is meaningful and does make sense. Actually, the primary goal of BP-VA is to provide a modeling platform that lets business analysts to create the initial drafts of the processes. Class and state modeling are useful for technical developers who are responsible for implementing the technology that will perform those processes. Thus, we do not support it in BP-VA.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

Thank you for your frank answer. Plesae treat my comments as kind suggestions being a result of our experience within this area rather than complaints. Please let me know when you’re ready to “upgrade” BP-VA with new features.

regards, Artur

Hello arturK,

Oh, for sure! I already let our developers know about your comment. Please keep on sharing your experience with us. Thank you very much!

Wish you have a happy Year 2007! :smiley:

Best regards,
Jick